Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 348-2616
Phone: (816) 471-5111
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys

Are there any kinds of accidents that my Kansas personal injury protection (PIP) won’t cover?

Kansas is a no-fault car insurance state—one of 13 in the U.S. This means you're required to purchase an additional automobile insurance policy item to cover your injuries in an accident, regardless of who was at fault.

This additional coverage is known as personal injury protection, or PIP. In most cases, PIP reimburses you for medical expenses up to your purchased policy limits. However, there are certain circumstances when you may be ineligible for benefits.

What Are PIP Benefits?

two_car_accidentUnder Kansas law, you're required to purchase a minimum of $4,500 in PIP coverage and have the option increments—as much as $50,000.

PIP can be used to compensate you and any passengers injured in a motor vehicle
accident, regardless of who caused it.

If you have the minimum coverage, PIP pays:

  • $4,500 for medical expenses per person
  • $900 per month for lost wages and disability for up to one year to an injured victim or his family if he died in the accident
  • $25 per day in in-home services for one year
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial, and cremation services
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation costs

What Are Exceptions to PIP Benefit Coverage?

While you're entitled to PIP benefits in most automobile accidents even if you were at fault, there are exceptions, including:

  • Intentional act. If you caused the accident on purpose, you may be disqualified from receiving PIP benefits.
  • Motorcycle. You're not entitled to PIP benefits under your auto insurance policy if injuries were caused in a motorcycle accident. You would need to purchase PIP coverage for your motorcycle separately. This coverage isn't required under Kansas law.
  • Work. If your accident occurred while driving for your job, you may not be entitled to personal injury protection payments. You'll most likely be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits, and should first file a claim with your employer.  

Were you injured in a car accident in Kansas? You need the assistance of an experienced car accident attorney to negotiate your rights and pursue a claim against the negligent driver if possible. To learn more about your legal options and our experience in these cases, contact us online or call us directly at 816.471.511 to schedule your free case evaluation.


James Roswold
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.

Live Chat