It depends. Most municipal vehicles—such as utility vehicles, garbage trucks, and other services—are operated on behalf of the city in which you live, so you would likely pursue a case against the city. However, you may be able to hold additional parties at fault—such as the driver or a third-party maintenance company—depending on the specifics of your truck accident.

Here are a few vehicles that could involve multiple parties after an accident:

  • Garbage trucks
  • Gas trucks
  • Power company trucks
  • Telecommunications vehicles
  • Water and sewage vehicles
  • Street sweepers
  • Tree trimmers
  • Cherry pickers
  • Asphalt spreaders
  • Bulldozers
  • Steamrollers
  • Excavators
  • Forklifts
  • Tractors

In order to build your case, the first thing you should do is find out the names of the owner, operator, and driver of the vehicle that struck you. The next thing to find out is whom each of these people is working for or whom they were working for at the time of the crash. You may find that the driver of a forklift was performing work for the county when the crash occurred, making a municipality liable rather than his construction company.

The most difficult part of a case is often determining why the accident occurred. You may know which vehicle struck the other vehicle, but the cause of a crash goes far deeper than that. For example, the operator of the street sweeper who barreled into you may not have been properly trained before using the equipment, but he could also have been driving a sweeper with a defective electrical system or worn-out brakes.

The specifics of your utility truck accident can make an enormous difference in your case. The best way to determine who is at fault is to have an attorney begin a detailed investigation of your case. We can gather evidence on your behalf, including sending evidence spoliation letters to the company of the vehicle that struck you to make sure we have all the facts.

Have You Been Injured In A Truck Accident?

If you've been injured in a tractor trailer accident you need to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.


James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.