State law designates certain survivors who are entitled to pursue a Kansas City wrongful death case
• If the decedent was married, the spouse at the time of death can bring a lawsuit. In Missouri, the spouse must have been legally married. In Kansas, common law spouses may have a legitimate claim.
• If the decedent had children, the children can also bring a lawsuit.  Biological minor children,  adult children, adopted children and illegitimate children can file a wrongful death lawsuit; step-children cannot.
• In both Missouri, the decedent's parents are allowed to bring a lawsuit. In Kansas, parents can only file a wrongful death claim if there is no spouse or children.
• Brothers and sisters are entitled to bring a wrongful death action if the decedent has no surviving children or parents. 
• If a young child dies, the parents may file a wrongful death action. 

Has A Loved One Died Due To The Negligence of Others?

If your loved one has died due to the negligence of someone else an experienced wrongful death attorney can help you hold them responsible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.

James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.