The daily threat of a car accident may scare you away from driving on busy roads. Maybe you stay off of 350 to avoid truck traffic, or even avoid driving your car unless it’s absolutely necessary. After all, it’s hard to get into a car accident if you’re not in a car, right?
Unfortunately, many serious accidents can take place right in your front yard--and involve the most vulnerable victims.
Children Are Likely to Suffer Garbage Truck Backover Accidents
While anyone may potentially be struck by a waste management vehicle, children are most likely to be seriously injured in a Raytown garbage truck crash. Consider the following factors that can place your child at risk on trash pickup days:
- No alternate routes – While you may be able to avoid most trucks by staying off the highway, garbage trucks are required to drive through residential neighborhoods—essentially bringing the accident right to your home.
- Difficulty maneuvering – Garbage trucks may have to drive down alleys, make Y-turns in driveways, or navigate narrow streets while doing their rounds, placing people who cannot be seen in the mirrors in danger.
- Earplugs and headphones – Some garbage collectors will wear headphones or earplugs on the job to reduce noise levels, making it impossible for them to hear street noises or children playing nearby.
- Backing up – Waste management trucks may be forced to back up on dead-end streets or to avoid hitting cars parked on streets. Children or bicyclists who are walking across driveways or through crosswalks may be struck as the truck reverses, especially if they are obstructed by overgrown hedges.
- Opposite lanes – Garbage trucks are required to keep to the right hand side of the street when collecting trash. However, they may choose to drive in the wrong lane to avoid fallen branches or debris, placing unsuspecting pedestrians in harm’s way.
- Burning daylight – Garbage trucks are encouraged to finish their routes quickly, and may attempt to save time by taking corners too quickly or charging into the entrance to a subdivision.
Have You Been Injured In A Truck Accident?
If you've been injured in a tractor trailer accident you need to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.