Following an accident you will likely be stressed, excited and possibly injured. Being prepared in the unfortunate event of a motor vehicle accident will help you get through the initial steps that need to be taken following a collision, such as taking down the other party's information.
To that end, we recommend that you keep an Accident Emergency Kit in your glove box at all times. Gather the following items and place them in a canvas bag to have around in the case of an unfortunate accident. At a minimum, this should include your insurance card and paper and a pen for taking notes. Other items that you should include in your kit are:
• Disposable camera, which should be used to take pictures of the vehicles and the scene of the collision
• Flashlight with extra batteries, which can be used if the accident occurs during the night time hours.
• Warning triangles or emergency flares, which can be used to warn other drivers that an accident has occurred, so they can slow or stop so that another collision does not occur.
• Jumper cables and tools, which can be used if your vehicle fails to start, and you need to get it off the road.
• Flat tire repair kit, which can be used to repair a simple flat to get you back on the road quickly until a more permanent solution can be implemented.
• First aid kit, which can be used for minor injuries.
• Water, which can be used to clean cuts or used for drinking if you are going to be stranded for a while in the heat.
• Auto Accident Information Form, which can be used to take down important information regarding the accident.
These items will give you the resources you need to help you stay calm knowing that you are prepared. Use the Auto Accident Information Form to take the other driver's name and insurance information, names of witnesses, and vehicle and accident information that you can refer to later.
You should also read, What To Do Immediately Following A Motor Vehicle Accident which will provide valuable information on the steps you should take if you find yourself involved in a motor vehicle crash such as getting medical treatment.
If you've been seriously injured, protect your well being first and then your rights. The experienced attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys bring decades of experience successfully fighting for clients against major corporations and insurance companies in numerous cases resulting in significant settlements and verdicts. Let us handle all of the details while you concentrate on what is most important - your recovery.
For more information or for your FREE consultation with no obligation, please contact Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 816-471-5111 or by clicking "Just Ask".