We all know the dangers of texting while driving yet many of us do it anyway. Do we assume we are good at multitasking? A new studies shows just that. Drivers constantly overestimate their ability to multitask behind the wheel.
An online game measures a driver’s reaction time while texting. The object of the game is to successfully change to the correct numbered lane before passing through a gate. Incoming text messages will appear on a virtual phone that the driver must respond to while continuing to change to the correct lane. After completing the game, results are posted showing your average response time while texting and not texting. Below is an example of reaction times while texting and driving.
Cell phones contribute to an estimated 2,600 traffic fatalities a year. New technology like voice-activated texting still proves to be distracting and illegal in some states. Distracted driving is a leading cause of serious injury in Kansas City. Rollover accidents and rear-end collisions are the most common types of crashes that occur when a driver is driving while texting. Luckily, there are many ways to avoid texting while driving.
Tips to avoid texting while driving
- Let the person/s you’re meeting know what time to expect you. This way they won’t text you while you’re driving to find out if you’re on your way.
- Turn your phone on silent while driving. You’ll be less tempted to check your messages if you can’t hear your phone.
- Leave your phone in the back seat if possible. If your phone is out of reach, you’ll have to stop the car to reach it.
- Let others know you won’t respond to texts while in the car. They won’t be constantly messaging you if they know you won’t respond.
- If you must send a text, pull the car over to a safe area and turn the engine off.
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.