Experienced Kansas City Personal Injury Attorneys
Fighting for the rights of the injured throughout Missouri and Kansas
When people think of personal injury cases, the most common are car, truck, and motorcycle crashes. However, there are many other ways that a business or individual can act negligently and cause catastrophic injuries or fatalities. Proving liability is typically the key in a successful personal injury case. Often, more than person or party may be liable for your injuries.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we know that you need to get back to the life you had and find the best way forward for you and your family. That is why our Kansas City-based personal injury attorneys move aggressively from the start to investigate how your accident happened and to determine who is responsible. While we are always ready to try your case before a jury, we have a track record of strong settlements and verdicts. Our lawyers are respected across Missouri and Kansas for our dedication to our clients, our tenacity working on cases, and our persuasive abilities in boardrooms and courtrooms. Call today to get started.
What kinds of injuries do your Kansas City injury attorneys handle?
Our seasoned trial lawyers have been fighting for injury victims and their families for three decades. We handle complex cases with multiple claimants and defendants, as well as cases involving just you and one defendant. Our attorneys are skilled trial lawyers who handle a wide array of claims, including injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries. Blunt force to the head often results in brain injuries. Traumatic brain injury might prevent individuals from working or taking care of their day-to-day needs, and cost families even more as they care for their loved ones.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries are almost always irreversible, even when they do not cause full paralysis. They can cause disability and mobility issues to patients, as well as complications with everyday life and relationships.
- Burn injuries. Life-threatening burns can cause permanent disfigurement, and lead to severe health complications if you're exposed to toxic chemicals. Because of the catastrophic nature of these injuries, retaining an experienced personal injury attorney is essential to ensure you receive the full value of your claim.
- Traumatic amputation and limb loss. Some injuries, especially those stemming from car wrecks or heavy machinery, can cause permanent disfigurement. Depending on the circumstances of the incident, there could be multiple liable parties, so contact us as soon as you can.
- Injuries to children. When your child suffers an injury or dies due to the negligence of another party, the heartache can be unbearable. Children may suffer serious injuries or death in vehicle or slip and fall accidents, or because of defective playground equipment, dog bites, or medical malpractice. We pursue a claim for compensation so your child has the medical care and financial assistance that may be necessary for the rest of their life.
- Wrongful death. The unexpected loss of a loved one is tragic. When that loss was the act of negligence, it is unacceptable. If your loved one died as a result of negligent or reckless behavior of others, Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys is here to help you.
Other common accident injuries which can cause a lifetime of pain and medical bills include:
- Broken bones
- Nerve, tissue, ligament, or muscle damage
- Damage to internal organs
- Hearing and vision loss
What types of accident cases do your injury lawyers handle?
Sometimes, people suffer injuries in “true” accidents: no one is at fault, and no one is liable. More often, however, it is the negligence of another person, business, entity, or government which caused your pain and losses. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys represents claimants throughout Missouri and Kansas in claims stemming from those acts of negligence.
Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
Car, truck, motorcycle, and other motor vehicle accidents are usually due to driver negligence. Motorists who drive while distracted, drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, speed, violate traffic laws, or drive too fast for weather conditions should be held liable for the deaths and injuries they cause.
We understand how car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are similar, as well as all the ways they are different. Many victims suffer catastrophic injuries that change their lives forever and deserve compensation for their financial losses and pain and suffering. We represent drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
Unsafe property and premises liability claims
If you or someone you love trips, slips, and falls in a parking lot, grocery store aisle, restaurant, care facility, or another location, you are likely eligible for a premises liability claim. The same goes for when a property owner’s security was lax, a dog bit you, or a construction site failed to warn you of potential dangers.
After an injury caused by unsafe property, you may be unable to work for months (or longer) while you undergo surgery, therapy, and other treatments. Property owners who fail to ensure their premises are safe for customers and visitors must be held liable for the injuries they cause.
Nursing home negligence and abuse
Vulnerable residents may suffer injuries like fractures due to falls, head injuries, bedsores, seizures, psychological trauma, or death due to nursing home abuse and neglect. If your loved one is harmed while living in a nursing home or assisted living facility, our attorneys can help you secure justice on their behalf. Nursing home staff that is negligent or abusive can be held liable.
If you see the warning signs of abuse—including weight loss, bruises, depression, insomnia, and social withdrawal—contact an experienced Kansas City personal injury attorney to stop the abuse and pursue your loved one’s claim for compensation. We represent families in Missouri and Kansas and can help you even if your loved one lives in a different state.
Construction and work zone accidents
Most construction employees are eligible for workers’ compensation, but in severe cases, that may not be enough. Further, there are many construction workers who are ineligible for those benefits. To secure compensation, site visitors, contractors, passersby, and others would need to file a personal injury claim after a construction site accident. In our experience, we generally find these four parties liable for most construction and work zone injuries:
- The property owner
- The architect
- The contractor
- The construction companies
Our attorneys will launch an investigation into your case to determine the liable parties. In some situations there is both a personal injury claim and a worker’s comp claim. An experienced attorney will act quickly to preserve both claims.
Defective product injuries
When a consumer or commercial product is dangerous or defective, an individual can suffer life-altering injuries or death. Product liability claims fall into three main categories: design defects, manufacturing defects, and failures to warn of dangers or provide proper instructions. A victim may have a product liability claim against the product's designer, manufacturer, parts manufacturer, distributor, seller, or other entities.
Your doctors and medical care providers have a duty to provide competent medical care. It can be devastating to discover that medical malpractice caused your condition to worsen, especially if it progressed to a stage where further treatment options are limited. You may suffer serious consequences due to this negligence. If your medical providers failed to make a proper diagnosis, made mistakes in the surgery room, failed to treat your condition according to medical standards, or made other serious mistakes, you could have a claim for damages.
Employees who are injured while doing their job or who suffer an occupational illness have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim. In both Missouri and Kansas, injured or ill employees can seek payment for all their reasonably necessary medical bills. They are also entitled to temporary wage loss benefits while they recover. Workers may be entitled to permanent disability, depending on the type of injury they have and the severity of the injury.
Rest assured that when you hire Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we work on your case personally. When we cannot, we recommend other respected local attorneys who have the experience you need. You will never be left out to dry. In some situations, there is a personal injury claim which is separate and apart from a worker’s comp claim, and an experienced lawyer is needed to analyze both claims and help determine the best course of action.
Who is liable for my injuries?
Every injury case is different, and in some cases, there are multiple liable parties. For example, if you are hit by a drunk driver, the driver who hit you AND the bar which served them may both share liability, depending on local dram shop laws.
When you file a claim for compensation with the negligent party’s insurance company, you must prove your right to compensation. These are the basic elements shown to establish negligence:
- The business or individual owed you a duty.
- The property or business owner breached this duty by acting in a negligent manner.
- The liable party’s negligence was the cause of your injuries.
- You suffered losses and damages due to these injuries.
Proving the breach of the duty to you and the extent of your injuries can be complex, even when you believe the party’s negligence is clear cut. The insurance company will try to deflect blame and may also dispute the seriousness of your injuries to reduce or deny your claim. Their duty to their shareholders is to sell insurance and make a profit by minimizing and destroying claims in whatever manner available and to whatever extent possible. It’s not about fairness. It’s not about you. It’s about making money at your expense.
This is why you should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer from our firm after any accident that was not your fault. We can review your case and help determine who may be liable for your losses.
How much is my personal injury case worth?
It depends on the case. There is no set amount of money for a personal injury case, though cases with catastrophic injuries may be “worth” more. Your exact circumstances must be investigated so we can get you the help you need.
What type of compensation am I entitled to in my injury case?
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we demand compensation for all the damages permitted by law. In personal injury cases, compensation is meant to make you “whole” again, providing compensation to help put you in the same place you would have been in if the accident had not occurred. Personal injury victims can seek the following damages:
- Medical expenses.The negligent party is responsible for compensating you for hospitalization, surgery, doctor visits, physical therapy, medications, and assistive tools, such as wheelchairs and crutches. If you need a wheelchair ramp at your home or an aide to assist with your basic needs, you may be entitled to these expenses as well.
- Lost wages. Income, commissions, bonuses, and lost sick and vacation time are all included in your lost wages claim. You may also be entitled to lost earning capacity damages if you must change jobs or are permanently disabled due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering.The emotional trauma caused by your accident, and the pain and suffering from coping with your injuries can be a substantial portion of your settlement. However, you cannot hope to accurately value this part of your claim without the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Property damages. If your car, truck, motorcycle, or home were damaged, you have the right to be paid for the cost to repair it. If your property is damaged beyond repair, we demand compensation for the cost to replace it.
- Loss of companionship. You and your spouse can claim compensation for the ways in which the accident has affected your ability to enjoy your marital relationship.
How long do I have to file a personal injury case?
Also, there are exceptions to these rules. Claims involving the government may have shorter statutes, while other types of injury claims may be extended. It all depends on the details of the accident. The strongest advice is to speak with an attorney as soon as you can after an injury, so that you aren’t barred from making a claim and collecting damages.
Do you have a personal injury attorney near me?
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys maintains five different locations throughout Missouri and Kansas. Our Kansas City office is located at 510 Walnut Street, a few blocks away from City Hall.
Call our Kansas City personal injury lawyers today
Did you or a loved one suffer injuries in an accident caused by another party’s negligence? The personal injury lawyers at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys have a track record of successful outcomes. We have earned the respect of insurance companies and defense lawyers due to our attention to detail, our thorough understanding of the law, the network of experts we work with, and our ability to argue your case before a jury. To learn more about your legal options for compensation and how we fight zealously to obtain justice, contact us or call us directly at 816-471-5111 and schedule your free consultation.
We also have offices in Lee’s Summit, St. Joseph, and Parkville, MO as well as Overland Park and Olathe, KS available by appointment.
Kansas City Office
510 Walnut, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64106