If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, you will need to file a claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company. It can be a confusing process if you've never had to pursue a claim for compensation after a collision before. Here's what you need to know about how to file your claim.
Steps to Follow When Filing Your Motorcycle Collision Claim
When you file a claim with the negligent driver's insurance company, you are asking them to pay you compensation for your injuries and damage to your motorcycle and other property. Here's what you need to do to file your claim:
- Obtain contact information. At the scene of the crash, you should obtain the contact information of the other driver and their insurance company. You cannot file a claim without this information.
- Contact police. You should call the police at the scene of your accident. They will investigate the cause of the crash and write a police report that will contain helpful information to prove that the other motorist was the one who caused your collision. In addition, the insurance adjuster will most likely ask you to provide them with a copy of it when you file your claim.
- Gather evidence. When filing your claim, you will have the burden of proving your right to compensation for your injuries. You should collect evidence—such as eyewitness statements, photos and video at the crash scene, medical reports and bills, and your paystubs—that will help you win your case.
- Contact the insurance company. You will need to contact the insurance company to file your claim. Depending on the insurance company, you may be able to do this online or through a mobile app. Otherwise, you will need to call them. You may have to talk to an insurance adjuster about the details of the crash, fill out the paperwork they send you, and provide documents that support your claim.
- Notify your insurance company. Although you are not filing a claim with your own insurance company, you should report the accident to them. You are most likely required to inform them of the collision under your insurance policy. In addition, reporting the accident will protect your right to file an insurance claim if the negligent driver doesn't have sufficient insurance to fully compensate you.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer to File Your Claim
If you want to win your case and receive the full value of your claim in your settlement, you should retain an experienced motorcycle accident attorney to file your claim for you. This is because an attorney will:
- Conduct a more thorough investigation into the cause of your crash and the seriousness of your injuries and collect the evidence you need to prove your case
- Accurately determine how much compensation you should receive from the negligent driver
- Handle all communications with the insurance company and negotiate your settlement for you
- Help you avoid making mistakes that could hurt your claim, such as agreeing to a quick settlement or giving a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster
- File a lawsuit and litigate your claim if the insurance company refuses to offer you a fair settlement
Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motorcycle Accident?
If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.