After being involved in a serious car accident, you are likely aware of how quickly medical bills accumulate, how expensive car repair bills are, and how easy it is to get behind on your daily and monthly expenses. It is completely understandable for car accident victims to be curious about how long their car accident case may take.
If you file a claim or lawsuit against the responsible party, you want to know when you can expect to see justice and compensation for their negligent behaviors. That is where Kansas City’s Favorite Law Firm comes in to explain the process and guide you through every step of the way.
How long should I expect my car accident case to take in Kansas City, MO?
From beginning to end, it typically takes a few months to one year for a car accident case. However, you should keep in mind that every individual’s case is unique. Therefore, the length of time varies from case to case. This means that your case could take less than a few months or even more than one year, depending on certain circumstances and factors. For example, if your case is settled outside of court, you can expect it to take a lot less time than if you and your attorney need to attend court trial hearings to fight against the responsible party.
What is the legal process like for a car accident case?
If you are curious and want to understand how long your car accident case may take, it may be beneficial for you to also learn the various steps of the litigation process for these types of cases. Here are some of the steps that your car accident lawyer will help you navigate:
- Looking over your claim and determining whether it will be successful or not
- Conducting an investigation into what happened during your accident
- Determining who is liable for your car accident
- Gathering evidence to support your claim, such as photographs, video footage, medical records, police reports, witness statements, documents, and more
- Creating a list of losses that you have suffered since the accident and calculating them to determine what you need to be reimbursed
- Working with accountants, doctors, and other professionals to determine any future losses you may have from your injuries that should be provided in compensation
- Speaking and communicating with insurance companies, as well as trying to come to an agreeable settlement amount
- Preparing to take your case to court if a fair and just settlement cannot be reached
If your case goes to court for litigation, the court hearings alone can take a few weeks or even a couple of months. This is because you will need to show evidence and convince the judge of the amount of compensation you are entitled to, which can take some time. However, at any time, you or the other party can stop the legal proceedings by agreeing to a settlement.
Why is my car accident case taking so long?
There may be certain reasons why your car accident case is taking so long. Some of these reasons may include:
- You still need time to determine how much you might medically improve: Your doctor will keep an eye on your medical and healing progress after your car accident. They will communicate with your car accident attorney to let them know how much you might medically improve and when a full recovery might be expected. Sometimes, people’s recovery process is very fast, while others take a long time or never make a full recovery. However, it is critical that you wait until you get this information from your doctor because once you file a claim, you cannot ask for more money if new medical issues or pain and suffering arises from your accident. At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we strive to help every client reach maximum medical improvement so that you can be properly compensated through your claim.
- It is difficult to prove that the other driver caused the accident and your injuries: One of the most difficult parts of a car accident case is proving that the other driver caused both the accident and the injuries you sustained. This is usually done by showing that the responsible party owed you a duty of care, breached this duty, and directly caused your accident. However, it sounds a lot easier than it actually is. Therefore, you should be patient and rest assured, knowing that you are in good legal hands and your car accident attorney from Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys will successfully handle your case.
- The investigation process is more complex than expected: Your lawyer will conduct their own investigation to ensure that no details or factors have been missed. However, sometimes, these investigations become complex and take longer than expected. This typically happens when hurdles and challenges emerge, making it difficult to collect certain information, review surveillance footage, find eyewitnesses, and more.
- The insurance company is refusing to negotiate or work with you: It is very common for insurance companies to refuse to budge or work with you when it comes to a car accident claim. If this is the case, the settlement process will take longer than it should. This is usually because your lawyer and the insurance company are going back and forth on the amount that you should receive, which can take weeks, or even months until an agreement is made.
Even if you are afraid that your car accident case may take a long time, it is important that you pay attention to the statute of limitations and do not miss the deadline of filing your claim. If you miss this deadline, you will not be able to receive compensation for your injuries and other losses. If you have been in an accident, don’t procrastinate the process. Reach out as soon as possible to ensure there are no gaps in treatment and you have plenty of time before the statute of limitations.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we take car accident cases very seriously and know and understand that you need financial assistance to cover your medical bills, lost income, mechanics fees, and more. Our team will do all that we can to secure the best outcome possible for your claim and ensure that we get that outcome as quickly as possible. Call or contact our car accident attorneys to schedule your free case evaluation today. You can call or visit Kansas City’s Favorite Law Firm at our Kansas City, MO office at any time, or you can meet with us by appointment at our office locations in Lee’s Summit, Parkville and St. Joseph (MO); Olathe, Kansas City, and Overland Park (KS).
Kansas City personal injury attorney James Roswold of Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys handles cases dealing with victims of personal injury, medical negligence, wrongful death, workers compensation, nursing home negligence, premises liability, product liability, car accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases.