motorcycle rider and passengerYou could suffer serious injuries if you are a passenger on a motorcycle that is involved in an accident in Kansas or Missouri. Fortunately, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries from the negligent party that caused your crash. Here's what you need to know about who could be responsible for paying you the damages you deserve.

Liable Parties for Passenger Injuries in a Motorcycle Wreck

Motorcycle accidents are caused by a variety of negligent driving practices, including speeding, distracted driving, and intoxication. Determining how your collision happened is crucial to identifying the parties responsible for compensating you. One or more of the following could face responsibility:

  • Motorcycle rider. If the operator of the motorcycle you were riding was negligent in causing the crash, your claim would be against them. While you may feel guilty about seeking compensation from a friend or family member, it is important to keep in mind that it will be their insurance company paying the damages, not the individual.
  • Other driver. If the driver of the other motor vehicle caused your wreck, they would be responsible for paying you for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
  • Other driver and motorcyclist. If the motorcycle rider and the other motorist were partially at fault for causing the accident, you could file a claim with both of their insurance companies.
  • Vehicle manufacturer. If a defect in a part in the motorcycle or motor vehicle caused the collision, you could file a product liability claim against the manufacturer of the defective part and the motorcycle or motor vehicle.
  • Mechanic. Faulty brakes or other mechanical problems that were not repaired properly on the motorcycle or other vehicle could have caused or contributed to your motorcycle crash. In this situation, you could also file a claim with the repair facility's insurance company.
  • Municipality. Some motorcycle accidents are caused by defects, such as potholes, cracks in asphalt, or debris on the road. If this was true in your accident, you might be able to file a claim with the city or other municipality responsible for road maintenance. However, you may have a short time period to file your claim against them.

Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motorcycle Accident?

If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.

Request a Free Consultation

Start a Live Chat 24/7

Free Books and Downloads

James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment