The details of how this all transpired were very typical:
- Teenagers were having a New Year’s Eve party;
- Kids brought alcohol to the party in pop or water bottles;
- The homeowner where the party was held apparently did not take steps to prevent the teenage party goers from drinking;
- Neighbors apparently called the police when party goers began shooting off fireworks;
- The police responded to the home and observed a young person run back into the home in response to their arrival;
- The police were let into the home by the homeowner and the police began questioning kids and handing out tickets to those they believed had consumed alcohol;
- Questionable techniques and tests were used by the police in conducting their investigation.
The scope of the underage drinking problem, the considerations involved in hosting a party for your teenager and the legal consequences of a minor in possession/consumption conviction are all discussed in the child injury section of our website. Please take a look for more information.