In the days and weeks immediately following your loved one’s spinal cord injury caused by a car crash, it is important that you ask the right questions, support your loved one, and seek out the help you will need on the long road to recovery.
Tips From the Experts
Shepherd Center, one of the nation’s top rehabilitation hospitals for spinal cord and brain injuries, offers these tips for supporting your loved one in the first few days following his accident and diagnosis:
- Limit visits and the number of visitors at any given time.
- Allow yourself and your loved one time to rest between visits.
- Try to take turns with other family members and friends at the trauma care center so you can get some rest.
- Remind everyone who visits to maintain a soft and calm tone of voice.
- Assume that your loved one can hear you and be careful of everything that is said within earshot.
- Keep an open mind during every step of the process and never give up hope.
- Take advantage of all therapeutic opportunities.
- Talk about your feelings and concerns with supportive friends, family, and spiritual leaders you trust.
- Meet with other people and families with both new and old spinal cord injuries.
- Take care of yourself in the best manner possible.
Experts also recommend gathering as much information as possible in the early days so that you will be prepared to support your loved one as they regain consciousness and begin to ask questions of you about their injury and recovery. When you feel ready to hear the answers, some questions you should ask of the trauma team are:
- How severe is my loved one’s spinal cord injury?
- Which neurological level of injury does my loved one have?
- How will the treatment you are doing right now help my loved one?
- What are the next steps? When will I know my loved one is ready for the next step?
- What is the goal of rehabilitation therapy?
- What level of independence can he or she look forward to having in life?
- How can I learn to take care of my loved one at home?
- What should I be looking for in a rehabilitation center?
- What other injuries occurred in addition to the spinal cord injury?
Don’t Fail to Get Help for Yourself as Well
The answers to these questions may not be easy to hear, but the sooner you know what lies ahead, the more you will be able to help your loved one’s recovery. You will soon discover that ensuring the best recovery for your loved one will require a lot of money. You may also find that your insurance company is questioning their obligation to cover these expenses. If the car crash that injured your loved one was caused by the negligence of another driver, you may have to seek a settlement from him or his insurance company. You have enough to deal with right now. Allow the Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys to investigate your case and get you the money you need to support your loved one’s recovery. Start a live chat with us now.