woman buckling young child into car seatThe fear of being involved in a motor vehicle collision increases dramatically if you have children in the car. Unfortunately, the dangers of this occurring are very real. In 2019, 22,215 occupants of passenger vehicles were killed, and an estimated 2,488,000 were injured in crashes.

If you were in an accident in Missouri or Kansas and your child was injured, they could be entitled to compensation for their injuries from the negligent driver who caused it. However, they are relying on you to pursue their claim for them. Here are seven critical steps you need to take to protect their health and ensure that they receive the damages they deserve.

#1: Examine Your Child

You should check on your child right away. However, you should not move them if they appear to be injured or are unconscious to avoid making their injuries worse. Wait for emergency medical responders to arrive at the scene.

#2: Get Medical Care for Your Child

You should obtain prompt medical care for your child—even if they do not seem to be hurt. They may be too young to realize that they suffered an injury or could have suffered one, such as a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury, where the symptoms take days or longer to develop. You protect their health and avoid a dispute with the at-fault driver's insurance company by having them examined by a physician within 48 hours of the collision.

#3: Call the Police

Contact the police at the crash scene. They will write a police report after they investigate the collision. It can contain helpful information—such as the cause of the wreck, who is at fault, and any traffic citations issued—that you can use to prove the other driver's negligence, which is essential if you want to obtain compensation for your child.

#4: Get Contact Information

Obtain the contact information for the other driver and their insurance company. You will need it to file a claim on behalf of your child.

#5: Collect Evidence

You should begin collecting evidence to prove your child's right to compensation immediately after the motor vehicle accident occurs. Helpful evidence you need includes:

  • Photos of the crash scene, damage to the vehicles, road and weather conditions, and your child's injuries
  • Contact information for eyewitnesses so that you can obtain written statements from them
  • Your child's damaged clothing
  • Medical bills and medical records

#6: Replace Your Child's Car Seat

If your child was in a car seat, you should replace it as soon as possible, even if it does not appear damaged. You may not be able to see the damage to it, and it may not provide adequate protection to your child if they are involved in another accident.

#7: Retain a Knowledgeable Attorney

You should hire a skilled motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. They will help you collect the evidence you need to win your case and will negotiate your child's settlement with the insurance company so that they have the compensation they may need for the rest of their life. It is important to choose an attorney you trust and who has a track record of settling and litigating these cases.

Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motor Vehicle Accident?

If you've been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur.  Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.

James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment