hit and run stop signUnfortunately, it is not uncommon for motorcycle riders to suffer serious injuries or be killed in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver. In 2019, 5,014 motorcyclists were killed and 84,000 were injured—up 2 percent from 2018.

If you were a victim of a motorcycle accident in Kansas or Missouri, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, it may be much more complicated to obtain the damages you deserve if you are involved in a hit and run motorcycle collision. Here is what you need to do to protect your rights.

What to Do If the Negligent Motorist Flees the Scene

If the at-fault driver does not stop after striking your motorcycle, you may be tempted to drive away because you do not believe you have any way to file an insurance claim for your injuries. However, you still have options to pursue your right to compensation from the driver's insurance company if you can locate them or under your own uninsured motorist coverage, which you are required to purchase under Kansas' and Missouri's insurance laws. Here is what you need to do to protect your rights:

  • Get prompt medical care. You should be examined by a doctor within 48 hours of your crash—even if you do not think you were hurt. This protects your health and avoids disputes with the other driver's and your insurance company when you file a claim.
  • Write down details. You should write down any details of your crash as soon as possible while they are fresh in your mind. Any identifying information about the vehicle that struck you or the driver could help the police or your lawyer locate them.
  • Call the police. You still need to contact the police if the other driver flees. Hit and run is a crime in Kansas and Missouri, and the police may conduct an investigation. In addition, the police report can help you prove that the other driver's negligence was the cause of your motorcycle accident.
  • Take photos. Take photos with your cellphone camera of the damage to your bike, the crash scene, road and weather conditions, and your injuries.
  • Obtain witness contact info. You should get the contact information for any eyewitnesses to the collision. They may be able to help you identify the hit and run driver and prove that they caused your wreck.
  • Look for surveillance cameras. You should look for traffic cameras or video cameras at nearby businesses that may have recorded your crash as it occurred. The footage could help determine who the other driver is.
  • Contact your insurance company. You should notify your own insurance company of your accident right away. This will protect your right to file a claim with them if you cannot find the other driver or they have insufficient insurance coverage to fully compensate you.
  • Hire a lawyer. You should retain a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. They may be able to help you locate the at-fault motorist and will be able to pursue other avenues of compensation on your behalf.

Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motorcycle Accident?

If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur.  Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment