Personal Injury Protection in KS | PIP Coverage Requirements

Kansas requires that every individual maintain certain minimum amount of car insurance, including liability, personal injury protection (“PIP”), and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Here we’ll examine the minimum PIP coverage requirements and provide an explanation of those benefits provided.

Under Kansas Law, the Minimum Required PIP Coverage Must Provide:

  • $4,500 per person for medical expenses
  • $900 per month for disability and/or loss of income (for one year)
  • $25 per day for in-home services (for one year)
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expenses
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation expenses

Now the question remains, what do these benefits mean? Outlined below is an explanation of the terms and benefits provided under PIP coverage:

Medical Expenses

This benefit covers up to $4,500 for all reasonable and necessary health care expenses including medical doctors, hospitalization, x-rays, chiropractors, and more. For example, if following a car accident you were transported to a hospital by ambulance and treated in the emergency room, both the ambulance and the ER bill will be covered under the medical expenses benefit because those were both reasonable and necessary for you to receive that care to be evaluated for your potential injuries.

Disability and/or Loss of Income

This benefit provides allowances for your lost wages when you are unable to work following a motor vehicle accident. Generally, you are entitled to 85% of your lost wages with a maximum of $900 per month for up to 12 months.

In-Home Services

This benefit is also referred to as “substitution benefits” and it provides allowances for services that you cannot perform but could perform before the accident and would still be able to perform if you were not injured. For example, if you are unable to clean your house, cut the grass and wash the laundry and need to hire a maid or lawn service to do that for you, you are entitled to receive up to $25 per day for up to 365 days to cover those costs.

Funeral, Burial & Cremation Expenses

This benefit provides allowances for funeral, burial or cremation expenses incurred. It provides up to in $2,000 per individual.

Rehabilitation Expenses

This benefit provides allowances for all reasonable and necessary rehabilitation expenses from your injuries up to $4,500 including psychological services and occupational therapy. If your injuries prevent you from doing your previous job, this benefit may also cover occupational training necessary for you to obtain suitable employment even if that means retraining or learning a new trade.

Survivor Benefits

This benefit applies to a surviving spouse or child under the age of 18 and allows the individual to receive compensation of at least $900 per month for the loss of the deceased’s income. It may also provide substitution benefits for the survivor; however, keep in mind that survivor benefits are a complex area of law, and you should contact us for additional information if you feel you may have a survivor benefit claim.

Since Kansas is a no-fault state, you are entitled to receive PIP benefits regardless of who caused the crash. You make a claim to your own insurance to receive the benefits even if another party was at fault. Please keep in mind that PIP benefits may have to be reimbursed to your provider if you recover your damages from a responsible third party. When you have an experienced personal injury attorney, your insurance carrier participates pro rata in the cost of recovery from the responsible party and the amount that you must reimburse to your insurance carrier is reduced.

Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.