Overland Park Motorcycle Accident Attorneys, Johnson County, KS
Seasoned counsel for motorcycle accident victims in Kansas
There are many reasons why so many people are attracted to motorcycles. Motorcyclists are part of a nationwide community that embraces all riders with open arms. In addition to the sense of community and style, motorcycles are extremely efficient. Bikes are more fuel efficient than the average motor vehicle, and motorcyclists have an easier time searching for parking than other motorists. However, with all of the amenities that come with a motorcycle, motorcyclists are still in a vulnerable position when traveling on the road.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, our seasoned Overland Park motorcycle accident attorneys fight aggressively to show that other people’s negligence was the root cause of your injuries. Our attorneys hold all responsible parties accountable for the harm they cause. We fight for victims who suffer catastrophic, permanent, and serious injuries. We also fight for families when a loved one tragically dies in a motorcycle accident. Because of our track record of success trying cases in court, our thorough preparation of your case, and our ability to advocate for your cause, we are the right choice when you need a personal injury attorney on your side.
Why are motorcyclists at a disadvantage on the road?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that motorcyclists are 29 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident. Unlike passenger vehicles and commercial trucks, motorcycles do not have an additional protective structure that can absorb the impact of a traffic accident. They also do not contain the safety equipment that motor vehicles and commercial trucks have, like airbags and seatbelts. The lighter and smaller nature of a motorcycle puts riders at substantial risk of injury, as the lack of safety equipment and structure exposes them to road hazards and other debris.
What are common causes of Overland Park motorcycle accidents?
Like many traffic accidents, motorcycle accidents happen as a result of someone’s negligence. People often would assume that the accident happened due to the rider’s own negligent actions. However, the negligent actions of other motorists can severely injure motorcyclists. Some of the negligent actions of other motorists that can cause significant injury include:
- Cars making left-hand turns. These are one of the most dangerous situations that motorcyclists can encounter. This scenario happens when a car attempting to make a left-hand turn strikes a motorcyclist, typically in the middle of an intersection. The car attempting to turn usually strikes the motorcycle while the rider is in the process of trying to pass the vehicle or drive through the intersection.
- Lane splitting. This occurs when a motorcycle travels between two lanes of cars. Other riders may attempt to split lanes during traffic congestion. This type of situation is dangerous because motorcyclists are passing through vehicles with little space to properly maneuver around. Because motorcyclists are less visible and noticeable, many drivers will fail to see the motorcyclists as they try to pass them. It’s important to note that lane splitting is illegal in every state except for California.
- Dangerous road conditions. The lack of protection around a motorcycle leaves the driver exposed to road conditions, like uneven pavement, slippery surfaces, and potholes – all of which can cause them to lose control of their bikes.
- Aggressive driving. Aggressive behaviors like tailgating, cutting motorcyclists off, and failing to obey traffic lights and signals can cause a serious motorcycle crash. Drivers who engage in aggressive driving may fail to notice motorcyclists or misjudge when a biker is attempting to change lanes.
- Impaired driving. Drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs have substantially lowered motor skills and judgment. Motorists have a difficult time noticing motorcyclists in the most ideal situations, but when impaired, their critical thinking skills and judgment are severely limited. This increases the likelihood of a serious accident.
Do I have a case?
Call now or fill out a form to receive a free confidential consultation
What injuries do motorcycle accidents cause?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), one of the most common injuries that motorcyclists sustain are bone fractures in the legs. The organization also reports victims also often suffer severe head and chest trauma. Other injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Limb loss
- Road rash
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Broken bones
- Wrongful death
Who is liable for my Overland Park motorcycle accident?
Although motorcyclists assume some sort of risk when riding their bikes, there are several parties that can be held liable for any injuries sustained in a preventable accident. The first party that can be held liable is the other driver. Our attorneys show that the other motorist’s negligent actions were responsible for your injuries in a collision with a car.
Another party that can be held liable for motorcycle accidents are the vehicle or parts manufacturers. These companies can be held liable if they produced defective parts that led to your accident and injuries. Manufacturers have a responsibility to provide safe products to consumers, and when defective products result in significant injury, they must be held accountable for their negligence.
Local and state agencies can also be held liable for motorcycle accidents in certain circumstances. For example, when motorcyclists experience accidents and injuries as a result of poorly maintained roads, they may hold local and state agencies accountable for their lack of action.
If a motorcyclist is involved in a collision with a commercial truck, the trucking company may also be held liable. Trucking companies can be held accountable for the negligent actions of their truck drivers, as they are responsible for any damages that their employees cause while under their employment.
How can an Overland Park motorcycle accident attorney help with my case?
Successful accident claims and lawsuits require showing that another’s carelessness or negligence caused you harm. At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we put clients’ needs first. Since 1995, we have focused our energies on pursuing claims on behalf of those who are seriously injured. Our firm was built on a foundation of compassion and understanding for injured clients and their families. We stand up to the big insurance companies and protect your rights. Hence, our motto: “Putting the Personal in Personal Injury.”
Is there a motorcycle accident attorney near me?
Our Overland Park office is located at 11900 College Blvd, next to Central Bank, and available through appointment only. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys also maintain additional offices throughout Kansas and Missouri.
Dedicated Overland Park motorcycle accident lawyers
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, our lawyers have been fighting for motorcycle accident victims for over 30 years. We work with investigators and other experts to show how your accident happened, and why it should have been avoided. Our Overland Park trial lawyers have earned the respect of former clients, insurance adjusters, and defense lawyers. To discuss your motorcycle accident claim and the compensation to which you are entitled, call us at 816-290-7621 or fill out our contact form to schedule your free consultation.
Overland Park Office
11900 College Blvd, Suite 301
Overland Park, KS 66210