What Should I Expect During My Initial Consultation with a Kansas City Injury Lawyer?
Meeting with a personal injury lawyer for the first time can be intimidating, especially if you’ve never met with a lawyer before or been in a law office. However, you can prepare yourself by knowing what to bring, what questions to ask, what answers you’ll need to provide, the estimated cost, and what to expect during the meeting.
Here’s what will likely happen during an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney.
You will discuss your case with the lawyer
Your potential attorney will want to know about your accident, which naturally prompts a discussion of the specifics of your injury. You should bring paperwork that will help document your case, such as:
- A copy of the accident report (if you were injured in an automobile accident)
- Copies of medical records and expenses pertaining to your accident
- Any photographs taken at the accident scene
- Contact information from anyone who might have witnessed the accident
- Documentation of lost wages, if applicable
- Your insurance information, as well as that of other drivers involved in the accident
This information will help the attorney understand the nature and severity of your injuries and the overall complexity of the situation.
The attorney will ask you a series of questions
To gain an understanding of the case and how to proceed, the attorney will ask you a series of questions, such as:
- How would you describe the injuries you sustained?
- What is the current state of your health?
- Are you still receiving medical treatment?
- How have you been paying your medical bills, and do you have outstanding charges?
- Has your doctor given you a long-term prognosis (sometimes referred to as “maximum medical improvement”)?
- Have you been told that you may have a permanent injury or will require ongoing treatment?
- How have your injuries affected your day-to-day life?
- Did you miss work because of your injury?
- Are you unable to do the work you once did because of your injury?
Although some questions might be challenging to answer, this information will help your attorney to build a strong case for you.
Questions you should ask the attorney
An initial consultation is a two-way conversation. Here are some questions that you will need to ask a personal injury attorney:
Q: I’ve heard that most personal injury cases are handled on a contingency basis – will that apply to my case as well?
A: Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys take cases on contingency, which means that WE pay all the upfront costs of settling or trying your case – even the initial consultation is free! We only get paid when we win.
Q: Do you specialize in personal injury cases?
A: Since 1995, Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys has focused on pursuing claims on behalf of those who are seriously injured. “Where Accident Victims and Their Families Come FIRST,” is our motto.
Q: Do you have experience going up against big insurance companies?
A: KCAIA has decades of experience standing up to big insurance companies and protecting our clients’ rights.
Q: I see a lot of ads from large national personal injury law firms, but I’d rather work with someone who supports my community. Is your firm involved with the local community?
A: Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys partners with some extraordinary non-profit organizations, and have even started our own non-profit, the Roswold Foundation for Injured Children, Inc. to help our local community.
Q: Have you represented any other clients with injuries similar to mine?
A: The attorneys at KCAIA are dedicated to handling personal injury cases involving automobile accidents, trucking accidents, birth injuries, traumatic brain injuries, wrongful death, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and workers’ compensation.
Q: Will you personally work on my case, or will it be delegated to other attorneys or paralegals?
A: KCAIA is a small firm, but we won’t pass you off to junior attorneys or paralegals (although they may be part of your legal team). We give your case the personal attention it deserves.
Q: Can you give me some idea of what you think my case might be worth?
A: Because each case is different, we don’t make promises regarding settlement awards. However, our attorneys have recovered millions on behalf of injured clients.
Clarify your expectations
When meeting with a personal injury lawyer, there are several things you should reasonably expect from an attorney and the firm that will potentially be handling your case:
- An actual physical office or primary location. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys maintain offices in Kansas City, Lee’s Summit, Parkville and St. Joseph, MO and Olathe and Overland Park, KS.
- Attorneys who are established and qualified to represent personal injury clients. KCAIA founder James Roswold has been practicing law since 1990, and has assembled a unique team of attorneys and support staff that are passionate, authentic, and tenacious about helping clients.
- The type of experience necessary to achieve a favorable result for you. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys was built on a foundation of compassion and understanding for injured clients and their families – we only handle personal injury cases.
Clients have the right to expect certain things from a personal injury attorney, and the initial consultation should be as much about you interviewing the lawyer as the lawyer interviewing you. At Kansas City Accident Attorneys, we strive to provide a source of strength to clients as they proceed through one of the most difficult times in their lives. People come to us with debilitating pain, medical bills, wage loss and other extraordinary financial damages that consume their lives. To find out how we can help you and your family, call us or submit our contact form to schedule a free consultation at one of our offices today.
We know that it can feel as if there’s no end in sight when you’re living with a serious injury. At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we’re on your side from day one. We’ll not only fight for your best interests, but we’ll help you process and deal with your injury along the way. Our personal injury lawyers handle the insurance company for you, and make sure that you find the tools and resources you need to move forward. When you need an experienced, compassionate Kansas City personal injury lawyer, we answer the call.