While traveling by motorcycle is often enjoyable, some trips can unfortunately have an unhappy ending. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that more than 4,668 people were killed and 88,000 were injured in motorcycle accidents across the country in 2013. Sadly, a number of these accidents occur in the states of Kansas and Missouri. The causes of motorcycle accidents are numerous, ranging from speeding to distracted driving to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Key Motorcycle Accident Statistics in Kansas
According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, 2014 saw the following motorcycle accident statistics:
- There were a total of 960 motorcycle accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents accounted for 1.6% of all traffic accidents.
- Of the 960 motorcycle accidents that occurred, 44 were fatal.
- 743 motorcycle riders were injured in crashes.
- The total number of motorcycle accidents in Kansas rose slightly from 2013, when 955 such accidents occurred.
Victims of motorcycle accidents must act quickly in order to protect their legal rights. It is important to consult with an experienced attorney who can provide guidance.
Key Motorcycle Accident Statistics in Missouri
Unfortunately, Kansas is not the only state that sees frequent motorcycle accident injuries and fatalities. The Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Statistical Analysis Center reports the following information about motorcycle accidents for 2014, the most recent year for which data is available:
- There were a total of 1,734 motorcycle accidents involving personal injuries.
- 86 motorcycle crashes involved fatalities.
- 88 people were killed as a result of a motorcycle accident.
- 1,979 people were injured as a result of a motorcycle accident.
- As compared to 2013, when 1,755 motorcycle accidents occurred involving personal injuries, 2014 saw a slight decline. However, the year saw an increase in the number of motorcycle crash fatalities, as 71 such deaths took place in 2013.
Have You Been Injured In A Motorcycle Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.
You can also order your FREE copy of our book, “KC Biker Bible.”