The epidemic of distracted driving has spread unabated throughout Kansas City and the surrounding area.
The seven facts listed below serve to highlight the dangers of distracted driving and encourage Kansas City drivers to remain vigilant while on the road.
- Distracted driving was reported in 20 percent of injury crashes in 2009
- In the same year, distracted driving was reported in 16 percent of fatal crashes
- Using a handheld device while driving quadruples the likelihood of crash
- Using a cell phone while driving decreases brain activity associated with driving by 37 percent
- Using a cell phone while driving has the same effect on drivers’ reaction times as a 0.08 blood-alcohol content, the legal limit for vehicle operation in Kansas and Missouri
- Text messaging while driving makes a driver 23 times more likely to cause an accident
- The number of text messages sent or received in the United States increased by nearly 50 percent over the last four years
Clearly, these facts underscore the importance of avoiding distracted driving at all cost, even if that means momentarily locking your cell phone in your glove compartment.
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.