Workers’ Compensation Award Schedules For Lost Limbs

Each year numerous workers suffer on-the-job injuries in the United States. Depending upon the severity and seriousness of the injury, federal laws provide workers’ compensation guidelines for individual awards. Work injury victims should know what the law allows for with regard to compensation.

Federal workers have the Federal Employee Compensation Act (FECA) to determine the length of time for which they can receive workers’ compensation. FECA also provides a schedule of benefits for federal workers who have suffered the loss of a body part. The schedule is broken down based on the specific part of the body that was lost or rendered useless. Twenty specific parts are covered, and time allotments are listed in weeks. Here’s a sampling of the list:

  • Loss of a thumb – 75 weeks
  • Loss of a foot (single) – 205 weeks
  • Loss of a hand (single) – 244 weeks
  • Loss of a leg – 288 weeks
  • Loss of an arm – 312 weeks

Compensation Is Based Upon the Severity of Your Injury

The seriousness of the injury determines the number of weeks a worker receives compensation. The actual amount awarded is based on the severity of the injury. Workers suffer the complete loss of a limb are entitled to one hundred percent of the award. For others, the percentage of the loss of function is multiplied against the number of weeks allowed on the schedule. In other words, a worker who suffers a 50 percent loss in the use of a leg is entitled to 50 percent of the time allotted on the schedule. So, a person would multiply 288 weeks by 50 percent to find out the length of time they are entitled to the compensations. Many states have their own compensation schedules similar to the FECA schedule.

The Amount You’ Eligible to Receive May Vary From State to State

Federal compensation laws allow workers to collect 66 and 1/3 percent of their normal monthly salary. State laws and schedules may vary. The level of the loss is generally determined by a physician. Injured workers are evaluated by their personal doctor. That evaluation will then be reviewed by a physician hired by the employer’s insurance carrier. An evaluation of the personal physician’s opinion will often be disputed by the insurance doctor. Drawn out negotiations may result.

Have You Been Injured On The Job?

If you’ve been hurt at work on the job in Kansas City you need to speak with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.