It’s every parent’s worst nightmare when their child is outside riding his or her bicycle. Helmets, knee pads, elbow pads can ease a parent’s mind but they also worry about cars driving too fast down a residential street.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we’ve handled many cases where children were hit by a car when they were outside riding their bike. In fact, we’ve even implemented a “No Fee for Kids” program. If a child under the age of 12 is injured in a car accident, we’ll represent you at no cost.
Summer is here and we want your children to be educated on bike safety. We offer Missouri and Kansas residents a free child safety coloring book so children can learn the important steps they need to take, like wearing a helmet and watching for cars, to stay safe this summer. Here are a few child bicycle statistics to be aware of to keep your child safe.
Child Bicycle Statistics (according to SafeKids USA)
- Over 250,000 children are injured in bicycle accidents every year.
- Every day, over 600 children are injured in bicycle-related crashes.
- Approximately 100 kids are killed in bicycle accidents every year.
- More children ages 5 to 14 are seen in emergency rooms for injuries related to biking than any other sport.
- 50% of U.S. children between 5 and 14 years old own a bicycle helmet.
- Only 25% of children wear a helmet every time they ride a bicycle.
- 12% of child bicycle accident victims are under the age of 4.
- Approximately 27 percent of kids injured in bike accidents are between the ages of 5 and 9.
If you child has been injured by negligent driver while riding their bicycle, we want you to know that there is hope. That driver should pay for your child’s medical care as well as any other damages that occurred due to the accident. Please call Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys for a free consultation.