Large trucks are potentially very dangerous while on the road. They become exponentially more dangerous when you're a pedestrian. Use these 5 tips to stay safe and avoid being hit by a truck.
- Be Concious of Blind Spots--Large trucks have large blind spots. Truckers cannot see directly behind their vehicle so do not walk behind a truck that is in revers. Always make eye contract with a truck driver before crossing in front of the vehicle. If you cannot see the driver, more than likely the driver cannot see you.
- Give Plenty of Time for Stopping--It is essential to remember that trucks are far heavier than other vehicles on the road. They take much longer to stop so make sure that a truck has come to a complete stop before crossing in front of it.
- Use Pedestrian Walk Ways--Crosswalks and sidewalks are there for a reason. If you stick to them, you will be much safer. Also remember that trucks sometimes run up onto sidewalks when making turns.
- Be Aware of Wide Loads--Wide loads increase the danger of trucks. They are heavier and bulkier so they increase the stopping distance and decrease the visibility the driver has.
- Wear Proper Clothing--When out walking in low light conditions or at night, it is always a good idea to wear reflective clothing. If you want to be extra cauitious, carrying a flashlight or blinking light will make you even more visible to truck drivers.
While these tips will help you stay safe, not every accident can be avoided.Contact us if you or someone you know has been hit by a truck. Request a free copy of our book, “Don’t Wreck Your Injury Claim,” or call us at 816-471-5111 to schedule a free consultation.