Traveling by car is part of our everyday lives. Intellectually, most of us know that traveling by car can result in serious injuries or death, but few of us think about that every time we get in a car. While it is normal that we would be focused on other things, such as our destination, it is also important that we think about the common reasons for Missouri car accident fatalities so that we can do our part to prevent them from happening.
Five Common Reasons For Missouri Accident Fatalities in 2009-2011
According to the Missouri Department of Transportation, there were more than two dozen different factors that led to Missouri accident fatalities in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Each of these factors led to a life cut short and may have left loved ones shaken and in mourning. However, there were five factors that reportedly caused more deaths than other factors. Those factors include:
- Unrestrained occupants. A total of 1,197 people who were not wearing seat belts were killed in Missouri crashes during 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Run-off-the-road crashes. A total of 1,191 people died in this type of accident from 2009 – 2011. The numbers of fatalities were consistent over the three-year period with 398 people dying in 2009, 395 people dying in 2010 and 398 people dying in 2011.
- Horizontal curves. 825 people died in horizontal curve accidents over the three-year period.
- Alcohol or other drugs. 755 people died in alcohol- or drug-related crashes from 2009 to 2011.
- Aggressive driving. Aggressive driving, or driving too fast for conditions, caused about 602 fatalities during this reporting period.
Of course, other factors may have also contributed to the 4,570 deaths reported above and other factors certainly contributed to the remaining 4,937 fatalities reported from Missouri accidents during this time period.
Call a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer If Your Loved One Has Died
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal Missouri car crash then we encourage you to contact an experienced Kansas City auto accident attorney today at (816) 471- 5111 or (888) 348-2616 to schedule a consultation. We also invite you to read our FREE book, Don’t Wreck Your Injury Claim, for more information.