The high forces experienced in a Gladstone, MO car crash can cause even a strong bone, like the bones of the knees, to shatter. A broken knee refers to any one of several injuries, involving the knee cap (patella) or the leg bones that attach at the knee (tibia, fibula, and femur).
Types of knee fractures that occur in Missouri car accidents:
- Patella fracture (broken kneecap): The patella is the hard bone in front of your knee. The patella can be broken if it directly hits the dashboard, steering column, or other surface in your car during a Missouri car accident.
- Femoral condyle fractures: These types of fractures are caused when the ligaments in the knee are displaced due to stress.
- Tibial eminence fractures: These fractures are caused when a direct blow to the tibia injures the knee. Tibial eminence fractures are common injuries in Missouri motorcycle crashes.
- Tibial plateau fracture: You can read more about these injuries in our article, "Tibial Plateau Fractures: Do You Need a Liberty, MO Auto Accident Lawyer?"
Signs and symptoms of knee fractures
If your knee is fractured in a Missouri car crash, you will know that you have an injury. Broken knees are extremely painful. Symptoms of knee fractures include:
- Sudden, unbearable pain in the knee
- Loss of range of motion
- Deformity or disfigurement in the knee
Diagnosis and treatment of knee fractures
When you are seen in the emergency room after your Gladstone car crash, tell the doctor about any pain in your knee. If your doctor suspects a knee fracture, he will want to get a good picture of the damage to your knee. He may order X-rays, CT scans and/or an MRI.
Treatment of a knee fracture depends upon the extent of the injury. If the fracture is open and bone is protruding out of the skin, the Missouri accident victim will need to be treated with antibiotics to prevent life-threatening infection.
If the fracture is simple and there is no displacement of bones or injury to the surrounding tissue, the knee may be immobilized in a cast. The cast will be worn for at least a month. When the cast is removed, it will be replaced with a knee brace. At this point, the victim may be able to use crutches. The victim will need to undergo months of physical therapy before resuming normal activities.
If there is any displacement or if there are multiple breaks, surgery will be necessary before a cast is put on. Metal wires, plates, and screws may be inserted into the knee to hold the bones together as they heal. If the knee cap cannot be repaired, it may be permanently replaced with a metal knee cap.
Long-term consequences of knee fractures
If you have ever had a simple broken bone, you may believe that knee fractures are no big deal. In fact, with time and care, some knee injuries heal cleanly with no after effects. However, if the injury is severe, the victim may suffer from arthritis or chronic pain even after the knee has healed.
A Gladstone, MO auto accident lawyer can help
If your knee was fractured in a Missouri car accident, contact an experienced Gladstone, MO auto accident lawyer as soon as possible. You may be eligible to receive monetary compensation for all of your medical expenses, physical therapy, medications, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other losses. To schedule a free appointment with a Gladstone, MO auto accident lawyer, contact Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 888-348-2616.
For more information about the rights of Missouri accident victims, request a free copy of our book, 10 Essential Steps You Must Take to Protect Your Injury Claim.