Many of us consider our pets to be valued members of the family. We enjoy spending time with them and may even travel with pets. If an accident occurs, the pets are just as likely as humans to suffer an injury. This can lead to expensive vet bills.
Question: Can I Be Compensated If My Pet Is Injured In A Missouri Car Accident?
Answer: Maybe. The Kansas City car accident lawyers at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys explain:
Most car insurance companies will cover your dog or cat at no extra cost. This insurance coverage is part of your collision coverage. But, you should know:
1. Insurance coverage applies only to dogs and cats; it is not available for other pets and will not cover injuries to other pets. However, injuries to your iguana, hermit crab, boa constrictor, hamster or gold fish may qualify as property damage.
2. The insurance coverage will not cover injuries to your pet if you are at fault for the accident. If you are not at fault, you will need a copy of the police report stating that you are not at fault before the insurance company will pay your vet bill. There may be a monetary limit to the coverage, so read your insurance policy. Most companies cover only $500 in veterinarian expenses.
How can I keep my pet from being injured?
- Pets should never ride in a driver's lap.
- Cats should always travel in a carrier or cage that prevents the cat from climbing around the car and allows the cat to feel secure.
- Dogs riding in cars should be restrained with a properly fitted harness. They should not ride in a front seat that is equipped with air bags and they should not be allowed to hange their heads out a window.
- A dog that is riding in the bed of a pick-up truck should be in a protective dog kennel that is fastened to the truck bed.
If your pet is injured in a Missouri accident, you have the right to make a claim for your pet's veterinary bills. However, damages may be limited.
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.