Do pedestrians have rights if injured in a Kansas City car crash?
This means that while a pedestrian is expected to follow safety practices such as using the sidewalk, looking out for traffic, and crossing at crosswalks or intersections, drivers also have a responsibility to watch out for pedestrians – particularly children and elderly or disabled adults.
In some cases pedestrians always have the right of way. Pedestrians always have the right of way at street crossings. Cars must stop and allow pedestrians to cross at:
• Cross walks, whether or not they are supported by a traffic light.
• Traffic light pedestrian crossings: cars may not move beyond the white stripe or stop line which is painted horizontally at stop lights.
• School zones: if a child crosses the road in school zones, all cars must stop.
• Stop signs: if a pedestrian comes to a stop sign, the driver at the stop sign should let them cross before proceeding.
• Driveways and parking lots: all drivers should look and yield to pedestrians crossing driveways while on a sidewalk and to any person walking through a parking lot.
A pedestrian who is injured in a Kansas City car wreck may have a personal injury claim against the driver of the vehicle that hit him and may be able to recover compensation for medical expenses, therapy, pain and suffering, property loss and other damages. To claim damages, the pedestrian and his attorney must be able to show that the driver acted recklessly or negligently and caused the pedestrian injury. It is important that the attorney collect information from witnesses, police reports, medical providers and other records that support the injured pedestrian’s injury claim.
The Kansas City car crash attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys represent victims of accidents and negligence throughout Missouri and Kansas. If you have been injured and have questions about your rights or your particular case, contact our office at 1-888-348-2616 to schedule a free consultation with a Missouri personal injury lawyer. When you call, request your complimentary copy of our guide, 10 Essential Steps You Must Take To Protect Your Injury Claim.