Back To School in Kansas City: Child Pedestrian Safety Tips For A Safe And Happy School Year
It’s back to school time in Kansas City, and that means it’s a great time to review pedestrian safety rules with your children. For tips about school bus safety, click here.
Child Pedestrian Safety Rules:
1. Parents have a tendency to overestimate their child’s pedestrian skills. Children under ten years of age do not have the visual acuity and depth perception to judge speed, spatial relations or distance on their own. They may be responsible for their age, but they are not able to make decisions in risky situations. Therefore, parents should walk to school with children until they are at least ten years old.
2. Always walk on the sidewalk. If you must go along a road where there is no sidewalk, walk single file on the far left side of the street facing traffic.
3. Cross the street at marked crosswalks. If there is no crosswalk, cross only at the corner. Obey all traffic signals and pay attention to school crossing guards. Never cross a street from between cars.
4. Look left, right and then left again before crossing. Always keep a look out for traffic while you are crossing. Young children should hold the hand of an adult.
5. Stay visible. When it is dark, wear light colored, reflective clothing and carry a flashlight. When it is rainy, wear bright colors. When you buy a jacket for your child, look for light, bright colors and reflectors.
6. If your child drops something or a toy or pet goes into the street, your child should tell an adult. He should not go into the street to get it.
7. Most importantly, set an example for your children by following and demonstrating safety rules.
Remember, all children act without thinking and they may not do the things that drivers expect them to do. It is always better to be conservative when safety is concerned. This could save your child’s life and prevent serious injury.
If your child rides a bike to school, click here for bicycle safety tips.
The Kansas City child injury attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys wish you and your children a safe and happy school year. We hope you don’t need our services this year, but if your child is injured in a Kansas City motor vehicle accident, our attorneys are available to help at any time. Contact Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 1-888-348-2616 to schedule a free consultation with a Missouri accident lawyer.
To get started on your accident claim, download our free guide, “10 Essential Steps You Must Take To Protect Your Kansas City Injury Claim.”