It’s back to school time in Kansas City, and that means it’s a great time to review pedestrian safety rules with your children. For tips about school bus safety, click here.
Child Pedestrian Safety Rules:
1. Parents have a tendency to overestimate their child’s pedestrian skills. Children under ten years of age do not have the visual acuity and depth perception to judge speed, spatial relations or distance on their own. They may be responsible for their age, but they are not able to make decisions in risky situations. Therefore, parents should walk to school with children until they are at least ten years old.
2. Always walk on the sidewalk. If you must go along a road where there is no sidewalk, walk single file on the far left side of the street facing traffic.
3. Cross the street at marked crosswalks. If there is no crosswalk, cross only at the corner. Obey all traffic signals and pay attention to school crossing guards. Never cross a street from between cars.
4. Look left, right and then left again before crossing. Always keep a look out for traffic while you are crossing. Young children should hold the hand of an adult.
5. Stay visible. When it is dark, wear light colored, reflective clothing and carry a flashlight. When it is rainy, wear bright colors. When you buy a jacket for your child, look for light, bright colors and reflectors.
6. If your child drops something or a toy or pet goes into the street, your child should tell an adult. He should not go into the street to get it.
7. Most importantly, set an example for your children by following and demonstrating safety rules.
Remember, all children act without thinking and they may not do the things that drivers expect them to do. It is always better to be conservative when safety is concerned. This could save your child’s life and prevent serious injury.
Has Your Child Been Injured By The Negligence Of Others?
If your child has been injured it's important to speak with an experienced child injury attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.