One such example are chelation products containing ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA). EDTA is used by hospitals in intravenous chelation therapies that are FDA-approved to treat heavy metal intoxication, including overexposure to lead, arsenic, iron, and copper. However, some companies are promoting over-the-counter EDTA products to treat everything from autism and heart disease to Alzheimer's and macular degeneration.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now cracking down on these products. The FDA has warned eight of these companies to stop marketing over-the-counter chelation products. The products are sold as dietary supplements in the form of nasal sprays, suppositories, capsules, liquid drops and clay baths that claim to cure illness by removing heavy metals from the body.
The chelation products can cause serious and dangerous drug side effects including dehydration, kidney failure, liver damage and death. The FDA is aware of one wrongful death that occurred when an autistic child given intravenous chelation therapy. In 2005, a 5-year-old with autism had a heart attack and died while being intravenously chelated in the office of his Pennsylvania doctor.
Several of these companies also sell unapproved, over-the-counter heavy metal screening tests. The tests advise users that if present, heavy metal toxicity that can be cured using EDTA chelators sold by the same company.
The companies and their products include:
1. World Health Products LLC: Detoxamin Oral, Detoxamin Suppositories, and the Metal Detector test kit
2. Hormonal Health LLC: Kelatox Suppositories
3. Evenbetternow LLC: Kids Chelat Heavy Metal Chelator, Bio-Chelat Heavy Metal Chelator, Behavior Balance DMG Liquid, AlkaLife Alkaline Drops, NutriBiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract, Natur-Leaf, Kids Clear Detoxifying Clay Baths, EBN Detoxifying Bentonite Clay, and the Heavy Metal Screen Test
4. Maxam Nutraceutics/Maxam Laboratories: PCA-Rx, PC3x, AFX, AD- Rx, AN-Rx, Anavone, AV-Rx, BioGuard, BSAID, CF-Rx, CreOcell, Dermatotropin, Endotropin, GTF-Rx, IM-Rx, Keto-Plex, Natural Passion, NG-Rx, NX-Rx, OR-Rx, Oxy-Charge, PN-Rx, Ultra-AV, Ultra Pure Yohimbe, and the Heavy Metal Screening Test
5. Cardio Renew, Inc: CardioRenew and CardioRestore
6. Artery Health Institute, LLC: Advanced Formula EDTA Oral Chelation
7. Longevity Plus: Beyond Chelation Improved, EndoKinase, Viral Defense, Wobenzym-N
8. Dr. Rhonda Henry: Cardio Chelate (H-870)
This is not the FDA’s first crackdown on such products. In June, the FDA sent a warning letter to the maker of a supplement called OSR#1. The compound was originally developed as an industrial chelator for wastewater treatment, but was being marketed to parents of autistic children.
Have You Or A Loved One Been Injured By Using A Dangerous Drug?
If you've been hurt by a dangerous drug you need to speak with an experienced dangerous drug attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.