Hardcore Drunk Drivers Account For 70% Of Alcohol-Related Fatal Crashes. Can These Crashes Be Prevented?
Drunk driving deaths across the country decreased by more than seven percent in 2009. Many officials believe that increased legal enforcement of DUI laws and continuing educational campaigns by government and non-profit groups are driving the decrease. But these actions have little effect on the hardcore drunk driver that cause 70 percent of fatal alcohol-related crashes.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD):
• Drivers convicted (conviction is defined as receiving a court-imposed sanction) of a first DUI offense with a BAC of .15 percent or higher are 382 times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash as a non-intoxicated driver.
• Drivers convicted of a second DUI offense within a five-year period are 40% more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than drivers without a prior conviction.
• Drivers convicted of a DUI offense who have had their license suspended are about 4.9% more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than a properly licensed driver who has not been convicted of a DUI.
MADD suggests the following steps for preventing hardcore drunk driver accidents:
• Restrict the ability of hardcore drunk drivers to drive by suspending their licenses, impounding or immobilizing their vehicles, and requiring alcohol ignition interlock devices on their vehicles.
• Require hardcore drunk drivers to make restitution to the community through fines, mandatory incarceration and financial restitution to crash victims.
• Require hardcore drunk drivers to participate in mandatory alcohol assessment and treatment programs, intensive probation and attendance at victim impact panels.
• Increase sobriety checkpoints in order to deter, identify and apprehend hardcore drunk drivers and other potential offenders.
If you have been injured in a Kansas City drunk driving accident caused by a hardcore drunk driver, you need an experienced Missouri accident attorney who will make sure your rights are protected and will work hard to get you the settlement you deserve. Contact the Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 888-348-2616 to schedule a free consultation with a Kansas City drunk driving injury attorney.
To learn more about the rights of Kansas City DUI accident victims, download our free book, "10 Essential Steps You Must Take To Protect Your Injury Claim".