Once your family has made the tough decision to place a loved one in nursing home care, the next step is finding a high quality Kansas City nursing home where your loved one will be treated well. The choice you make now will directly affect your relative’s quality of life, so choosing a home should be done with care.
Unfortunately, if your loved one is being released from the hospital, this choice may have to be made quickly. Here are tips that can help.
2. Talk to friends. If you have friends who have gone through the same experience, they may be your best source for reliable information and advice.
3. Get names of local nursing homes. The U.S. governments Eldercare Locator can be reached at 1-800-677-1116. They can give you a list of homes and local agencies that serve nursing home residents.
4. Cross off any nursing homes that rated average or below average by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys maintains a list of poorly-rated nursing homes in Missouri and Kansas.
5. Call your local Ombudsman for information about homes in your area. The Kansas City Ombudsman can be reached at (816) 474-4240.
6. Visit the homes. Try to make unannounced visits. While you are visiting ask to see Form 2567. This is the nursing home’s state inspection survey. It should be available to visitors. If it is not, that may be a warning sign.
7. Visit the home again. Time your second visit for late morning. If many residents are still in bed late in the morning, there may be too few caregivers to meet the residents’ needs.
8. Check who owns the home. Independent non-profit homes tend to provide better care than for-profit chains.
9. Ask about staff turnover. A lot of turnover could mean quality or care problems. It is a good sign if administrators have been at their job for years.
10. Talk to the administrator. Ask them about the facility and their thoughts on elder care. If you get a bad feeling from this meeting, pay attention. If your intuition feels something is wrong, it probably is.
We all want the very best care for our loved ones. The Kansas City nursing home neglect attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys hope you find the good care your loved one deserves. However, if your loved one is in a situation where you suspect nursing home neglect or care giver abuse, you can change things. Contact our Missouri nursing home abuse lawyers at 888-348-2616 to learn more and to request our free book Nursing Home Neglect How To Stop And Recognize It.