Few possible injuries following a car accident are as troubling as the possibility for a brain injury. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can have devastating effects on Kansas City auto accident victims, including the potential for permanent brain damage, paralysis, even death from brain trauma. There are very important symptoms to watch for if you or someone you love has been in an accident.
1. Loss of consciousness, even temporarily
2. Dizziness, confusion, disorientation after the accident
3. Nausea and vomiting
4. In children, loss of appetite, uncontrolled crying
5. Balance and coordination problems, slurred speech, general confusion
6. Behavioral changes like irrational behavior and agitation
7. Lack of motivation, depression, and other personality changes
8. Loss of the senses including hearing damages, loss of vision, as well as changes in the taste buds
9. Weakness in the limbs, numbness
10. Seizures and convulsions
11. Severe and increasing headaches
TBI symptoms can take a few days to appear giving auto accident victims a false sense of security. The nature of a brain injury, however, revolves around the swelling of brain tissues, and this may continue for several hours to several days worsening in degrees of severity. For this reason, the accident victim must be carefully monitored for the onset or worsening of any of the previous symptoms. It is necessary to fill your doctor in on exactly what symptoms you may be experiencing.
Please note that just because the auto accident victim does not recall hitting his or her head on the steering wheel, window, car frame or other object does not mean he or she may not have a brain injury. Brain injuries can result from the sudden forward motion of the body, causing the brain to move back and forth in a jarring motion striking the inside of the skull. This action can cause severe bruising, even if the head itself never struck anything in the course of the accident.
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.