Products liability is an area of the law involving the liability of manufacturers and sellers of dangerous or defective goods or products.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), defective consumer products cause an average of 22,000 deaths and 29 million injuries as well as millions of dollars in property damage.
A "Product liability" claim allows the victims of these defective products to recover compensation for their injury-related losses from the manufacturer, seller or distributor of the defective product. In order for a product to give rise to liability claims the product must be deemed defective. Consumer products are considered defective if they have a manufacturing defect, a design defect, or an inadequate warning defect.
• Manufacturing Defect - A defect is caused by a mistake in the manufacturing process
• Design Defect - A defect is inherent in the design of the product
• Inadequate Warning Defects -failure to warn of a danger posed by the product; failure to provide an adequate warning of a danger posed by the product; and failure to adequately instruct the consumer in safe use of the product
There are many types of product liability claims. Almost any type of consumer product can have a defect that leads to injury. However, here are common types of Kansas City product liability claims:
• Automotive Defects: These include design defects that cause air bag injuries; car fires; defective seat belts; defective car doors; SUV rollovers; unintended acceleration; defective brakes; defective power steering; electrical problems and vehicle recalls. Automotive defects may cause Kansas City car crashes.
• Defective Tires: The use of substandard materials or mistakes in the manufacturing process can result in tire blowout car crashes.
• Unsafe Children’s Products: Defective designs of car seats, play yards, strollers, cribs and swings are responsible for death and injury to infants and young children. Products that contain lead, cobalt, phthalates or other dangerous substances can cause brain injury and other health problems.
• Defective Tools and Mechanical Equipment: Defective hand tools, power tools, conveyor belts, elevators, saws, sanders, lathe machines, boilers, forklifts, bulldozers, valves, and other industrial machines and equipment mnay cause workplace injury.
• Defective Medical Devices: Defective medical devices may worsen the condition they are supposed to treat or may cause new injury.
• Food Defects: Salmonella and other food contamination can cause serious illness and even death.
The Missouri consumer product liability attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys represent those who have been seriously injured or killed by unsafe products. If you were injured by a dangerous product, or you lost a loved one to an injury caused by a defective product, contact Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 888-348-2616 to learn if you have a Kansas City product liability claim.
If you think you may have a Missouri personal injury case, download our free book, “10 Essential Steps You Must Take To Protect Your Injury Claim.”