August is hot! Kansas City works are at risk for heat injury.
Conditions that may contribute to heat stress and on-the-job injury:
• Movement of air
• Radiant temperature of the surroundings
• Physical activity
Common heat-related injuries and illnesses are described here:
1. Heat Rash - Heat rash is a very itchy, bumpy red rash caused by a hot, humid environment and plugged sweat glands. It is not life threatening, but can be annoying.
2. Heat Cramps – Heat cramps are painful muscle cramps caused by the loss of body salt through extreme sweating. Heat cramps may be the first sign of more serious heat-related illness. If the cramps persist or other symptoms develop, seek medical attention immediately.
3. Heat Syncope – Heat syncope is a term for sudden fainting caused by reduced blood flow to the head. The victim's skin will feel cool and moist and their pulse will be weak. Seek immediate medical attention.
5. Heat Stroke – Heat stroke occurs when the body's cooling mechanism has shut down from extreme loss of salt and fluids. The body temperature rises and the victims skin will be hot, dry and red. The heart rate will be fast. The victim may be dizzy, weak, confused, or upset. Heat stroke may cause headache, loss of consciousness, convulsions and death. Seek immediate medical attention.
To prevent heat injury:
• Know the symptoms of heat-related illness.
• Use a buddy system. You may not recognize that you are becoming overheated, but a “buddy” can watch for signs of heat illness.
• Take frequent breaks in a shady area.
• Avoid heavy physical activity during the hottest part of the day.
• On very hot days, slow down the pace or get help.
• Stay hydrated. Drink both water and electrolytic drinks, about one cup every 15-20 minutes.
• Dress appropriately
If you are injured on-the-job in Kansas City, you probably have a Missouri or Kansas Worker’s Compensation Claim. To learn more about Worker’s Compensation and your rights to restitution for your injuries, contact the Kansas City personal injury attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys. Be sure to request our free book, “How to Avoid Becoming a Work Injury Horror Story”.