Kansas “No Fault” Insurance: The Basics

Kansas requires individuals to maintain minimum insurance coverage including liability, Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) and uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance. This article will focus on the required PIP coverage in Kansas and what it means for you. PIP provides compensation after you have been injured in an automobile accident including but not limited to lost wages and medical treatment. 

These benefits are provided under the Kansas Automobile Injury Reparations Act. The advantage of PIP is that you receive the benefits regardless of who was at fault. Kansas passed its mandatory PIP law with the goal of easing the burden for individuals to receive much needed benefits after being injured in a car accident.

The minimum PIP coverage required under Kansas law provides you with:

  • $4,500 per person for medical expenses
  • $900 per month for disability and/or loss of income (for one year)
  • $25 per day for in-home services (for one year)
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expenses
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation expenses

 For additional information on these specific coverages, please click here to read our article, “Personal Injury Protection, What Exactly Does It Cover?”

Now that you know which benefits are available under PIP, lets look at some frequently asked questions.

Q. Who is covered under PIP insurance?

PIP applies to you and your immediate family residing in your household and passengers riding in your vehicle. If you are injured while in someone else’s car, you are still entitled to receive PIP benefits. For example, if you are riding as a passenger in a friend’s car when you are injured in an automobile crash, you can make a claim for PIP benefits under your friend’s insurance policy.

Q. Can I receive PIP benefits if I am driving a friend’s car that is not insured?

Yes, you can. Your own insurance company would provide PIP benefits.

Q: How do I claim my PIP benefits?

Contact your insurance agent, let the agent know that you were injured and ask for a PIP application. Fill it out and send it to your insurance company to process your claim.

Q: Will I be entitled to receive PIP benefits if I am a Missouri resident, but I am involved in a car accident in Kansas?

If you are not a Kansas resident, but you are injured in an automobile accident in Kansas, you are entitled to PIP benefits. You will qualify to receive the minimum PIP benefits required by Kansas law since you were injured in Kansas.

Q: Will I be entitled to PIP coverage if I just bought a new car but have not added it to my policy yet?

By law, you have 30 days to add a new car to your existing policy, so if you had a preexisting insurance policy on another car, and you are involved in an accident, you will be entitled to PIP benefits as long as you are within the allotted time.

Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.