The birth of a child is one of the most wondrous and exciting times for couples. The thoughts of raising a child, imagining who they will be as they grow and all the joys of parenthood await the expectant parents. But what if the child is diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, suffers seizures, has developmental delays, brain injuries, or is Autistic?
Frequently these types of situations occur because of problems during labor and delivery. The medical terms are complicated:
- Anoxia – a total lack of oxygen
- Hypoxia – a decreased amount of oxygen which may result in permanent brain injury
- Fetal Distress – a condition of a fetus characterized by an abnormal heart rhythm
- Non-reassuring fetal heart rate – describes a change or variation in a baby’s heart rate
- Shoulder dystocia – a condition that occurs when the baby is “stuck” under the mother’s pelvic bone causing the baby to be in the birth canal for an extended period without oxygen
Indications of Problems During Labor and Delivery
There are several things to consider when evaluating your personal labor and delivery situation.
- Was the delivery of the child delayed?
- What was the child’s Apgar score?
- Did the child have seizures within 48 hours of birth?
- Was the child not breathing after birth?
- Did the child require resuscitation?
- Did the child require a stay in the intensive care unit?
Children born with these types of medical problems often require a lifetime of care including physical therapy, speech and occupational therapy, hospitalization, home care, and nursing care. Additionally, they may require medical equipment such as specially designed wheelchairs, medical beds, and even home modifications such as widened doorways, ramps, etc. to accommodate a special needs child.
If you or a loved on has suffered an injury due to medical malpractice during labor and delivery, you are likely to have some immediate and important questions. There are answers to some of your most important questions right here on our website. For more information, you should also download our FREE book, “The Truth About Medical Malpractice Claims, The Ultimate Guide To Medical Malpractice Cases in Missouri and Kansas” right here on our website.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we have been representing victims of medical malpractice, including birth injuries during labor and delivery, for more than 15 years. We understand that a serious medical injury can have devastating consequences and we are dedicated to thoroughly representing the victims of such injuries every step of the way. Contact the experienced lawyers at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at (816) 471-5111 for a FREE consultation with no obligation.