"Premises and Security Liability" laws are laws that require property owners to be responsible for protecting visitors from harm. Harm includes physical danger such as slips and falls on stairs as well as criminal activity.
Property owners must provide the security, lighting, and any other measures necessary to ensure visitors and customers are not harmed.
If you have been injured because of a crime that occurred on someone else’s property and you suspect inadequate security contributed to your injury, you may have a Kansas City negligent security claim against the owner of the property on which the crime occurred. You may be able to recover the cost of your medical bills, pain and suffering, and loss of earnings due to your injuries.
To win a Missouri premises liability case and receive compensation, you must be able to prove that the property owner knew, or should have been aware, that there was potential for crime on the premises and that he failed to provide adequate security. You must also prove that the failure to provide security was a direct cause of your injury or damages.
If you believe, negligent security contributed to your injury, contact the Missouri and Kansas personal injury attorneys at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys immediately. Call 1-888-348-2616.
To protect your rights, we suggest you take the following steps:
• Promptly report the crime or accident to the police
• If you were injured, seek immediate medical treatment. If you were raped or sexually assaulted, request an appropriate examination so your injury can be documented. Get a copy of all medical records.
• If you can, get the names, phone numbers and addresses of all witnesses involved. If you are able to, take photographs of the scene.
• Do not discuss your case with anyone except the police and your Kansas City personal injury lawyer. Do not discuss the incident with the insurance company until you have spoken to an attorney. The insurance company may be more interested in keeping costs down that your best welfare.
• Do not sign any documents relating to the incident.
• Call Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys as soon as possible. The sooner you call, the more we can do to protect the evidence.
Have You Been Injured In A Slip And Fall Accident?
If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident you need to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.
To learn more about what you can do to protect your premises liability case, download our free guide, “10 Essential Steps You Must Take To Protect Your Personal Injury Claim.”