Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 348-2616
Phone: (816) 471-5111
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys

Can I Get Insurance Compensation for a Dislocated Ankle?

"I dislocated my ankle in Kansas City car wreck. I know that this isn't a serious injury like a broken back or brain injury, but I have a lot of medical bills. Can I still get insurance compensation?"

Our Kansas City car crash lawyers get many questions from people who worry that their injuries are not serious enough for them to qualify for insurance compensation. However, many of these injuries, including dislocated ankles, are more serious then they sound.

A dislocated ankle occurs when the force of a Missouri car accident causes the ankle bone (talus) to be displaced from its normal location under the leg bones (tibia and fibula). On the surface, a dislocation looks a lot like a fracture. There is pain and swelling in the ankle. The ankle may appear red or bruised and it may be misshapen. It will be very painful to put any weight on the ankle. If you suspect that your ankle is fractured or dislocated, see a physician immediately. Waiting too long for treatment may cause permanent damage.

In the emergency room, the doctor will request an x-ray of the ankle in order to determine what type of injury you have. He may also order an MRI in order to rule out damage to the surrounding tissue.

The doctor will then move your ankle into its correct position. The procedure is known as reduction. It is quite painful, but it should bring immediate relief. You may be given a muscle relaxer and painkillers during the procedure.

After reduction, the ankle will be placed in an elastic bandage. The bandage will provide support as the ankle heals. You will be told to keep your leg elevated and ice the injury. You may be given medication for pain and told to follow up with an orthopedist. It is very important that you go to the follow-up appointment.

The orthopedist may put your ankle in a cast. However, if the doctor cannot manipulate the bones into their proper position or if there is extensive damage to the nerves or muscles surrounding the ankle, you could require surgery.

Once you have sustained a dislocated ankle, you are at risk of future dislocations of the joint. You may need to take precautions when running or engaging in sports.

If you have dislocated your ankle in a Kansas City car accident, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills, the pain you have suffered, and any income you lost because of your injury. A Kansas City car crash lawyer will also take your future risk of ankle injury into consideration when determining how much your case is worth. To discuss your case with a Missouri personal injury attorney, contact Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 888-348-2616.

Learn more about Missouri car crash claims in our free book, 10 Essential Steps You Must Take to Protect Your Injury Claim.

James Roswold
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.

Live Chat