An injury on the job can keep an employee out of work for a day, a month, or the rest of his life. The one thing that all injured workers will have in common is trying to get proper compensation for the costs of their injuries—usually while suffering through a painful recovery.

The good news is that workers' compensation allows a number of benefits for workers who know how to access them. Workers' compensation provides for workers by paying for medical treatment, allowing temporary wage replacement, and giving ongoing payments for any permanent impairment.

If You Suffered an On-the-Job Injury, Your Workers’ Comp Claim Could Award You:

Medical Costs

The first thing your workers’ compensation should cover is treatment for any injuries or occupational disease you suffered as a result of your accident. This can be an injury you sustained on the job (such as a broken leg) but also any related suffering that occurred as a result (such as a hospital-borne infection after surgery). All of your doctor visits, hospital stays, prescriptions, physical therapy appointments, and medical devices (including canes or wheelchairs) should be covered.

Lost Wages

If your injury prevents you from working for an extended period of time, you can get a weekly stipend to compensate you for your lost income. The amount of temporary disability pay you can receive may vary, but will generally amount to 2/3 of your weekly wage. These benefits should be paid until you are able to return to work, or until a doctor determines that your condition is not likely to get better with further treatment, also called a point of maximum medical improvement (MMI).

Permanent Disability

A worker who has reached MMI can continue to receive lifelong injury payments if their accident has resulted in permanent disability. Employees who can perform part-time or alternate work with a disability can receive partial payments, while others who are completely incapable of working can receive permanent total disability. In Missouri, workers can claim an additional amount for permanent disfigurement of the head, neck, hands or arms—a payment up to 40 weeks of the employee’s regular pay.

What If I Already Paid Some of the Bills Related to My Injury?

You can be reimbursed for the costs of a work-related injury as part of your workers’ compensation claim. Our attorneys can help you calculate the amount you have lost as a result of your work injury and get you maximum compensation for your suffering. 

Have You Been Injured On The Job?

If you've been hurt at work on the job in Kansas City you need to speak with an experienced workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.


James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.