The statistics are alarming. The 2013 Traffic Safety Culture Index released earlier this year by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that approximately:
- One out of every five drivers is involved in a serious accident.
- One out of every eight drivers is hurt in a serious accident.
- One in three Americans (33 percent) have a friend or relative seriously hurt or killed in a car accident.
One in five, one in eight, and one in three. Think about that. Think about how likely it is that a serious I-70 accident, or a crash on a local Kansas City road, will have a significant impact on your life.
Know What to Do When it Happens
We provide these statistics to you not to scare you, but rather to encourage you to be prepared. The time after you, or someone you love, is seriously hurt in a crash is going to be painful, confusing and overwhelming. There are some things that you won’t be able to prepare for, but there are other things that you will.
Right Now You Can
- Do your part to prevent accidents.
- Know what to do at the scene of an accident.
- Learn about what to do in the days following an accident.
- Create a living will and health care proxy in case you are the one who is hurt.
- Create an emergency plan with your family so that everyone knows what to do in case of emergency.
After an accident You Can
- Make sure that you, or the one you love, gets the appropriate medical care.
- Be cautious about dealing directly with insurance companies.
- Get the help you need from an experienced lawyer.
You can get started right now by reading our free book, Don’t Wreck Your Injury Claim, and by reading our case results to see what happened to those who have already been hurt and sought recoveries. Additionally, we invite you to like us on Facebook so that you can stay up-to-date on important accident injury information in the Greater Kansas City area.