While you may do everything possible to be a responsible driver and keep yourself, your family, and others on the road safe, the reality is injuries and fatalities due to vehicle accidents are on the rise.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 37,461 people were killed nationwide in deadly collisions in 2016—a 2.2 percent increase from 2015.
The statistics also show what dangerous driving practices have increased and decreased from 2015 to 2016:
- Distracted driving was the cause of 3,450 deaths—a 2.2 percent decrease.
- Driving while fatigued accounted for 803 fatalities—a 3.5 percent decrease.
- Drunk driving crashes caused 10,497 fatalities—a 1.7 percent increase.
- Speeding caused 10,111 deaths—a 4 percent increase.
- 10,428 people lost their lives due to not wearing a seatbelt—a 4.6 percent increase.
Missouri Collision Statistics: What the Numbers Show
Missouri Department of Transportation statistics for 2016 indicate:
- 940 individuals were killed statewide in 2016, up from 867 in 2015. In Kansas City, there were 65 fatalities for both 2015 and 2016.
- Injuries caused by car accidents rose in our state from 4,543 in 2015 to 4,720 in 2016. These statistics also increased in Kansas City from 283 in 2015 to 348 in 2016.
- In Kansas City, the top five causes of fatalities were run-off-road crashes; lack of seatbelts; unlicensed or improperly-licensed drivers; horizontal curve accidents; traveling too fast for conditions, and excessive speeding.
- The leading causes of injuries in Kansas City crashes were slightly different. They included run-off-road crashes; non-signal and signalized intersection collisions; unlicensed or improperly-licensed motorists; horizontal curve crashes; and driving too fast for weather conditions.
Kansas Car Accident Statistics and Facts
According to Kansas Department of Transportation statistics, 429 people were killed and 18,406 were hurt in 2016 on state roads and highways. Here are the most common types of crashes:
- 26,254 one-vehicle accidents
- 10,150 collisions with deer
- 9,558 crashes with fixed objects
- 4,472 accidents caused by speeding
- 3,844 wrecks involving an overturned vehicle
- 3,195 truck accidents
- 2,506 crashes caused by snow and ice
- 2,211 drunk driving accidents
- 2,063 work zone collisions
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816-471-5111 to schedule your free consultation.
We know that it can feel as if there’s no end in sight when you’re living with a serious injury. At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, we’re on your side from day one. We’ll not only fight for your best interests, but we’ll help you process and deal with your injury along the way. Our personal injury lawyers handle the insurance company for you, and make sure that you find the tools and resources you need to move forward. When you need an experienced, compassionate Kansas City personal injury lawyer, we answer the call.