Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Parkville, MO
Fighting for victims’ rights when injured by medical negligence in Missouri
Medical professionals are afforded trust by each patent they treat. When medical professionals take advantage of this trust and commit negligent errors, the ones who suffer the most are the patients. While you may have gone in for a simple procedure you may be left with a lifelong injury due to the careless actions of your doctor or other medical staff.
You can be entitled to file a medical malpractice claim and obtain compensation for your injuries. You will need the help of a Parkville medical malpractice attorney to ensure your rights are protected and you get the justice you deserve. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys has worked with medical professionals and other experts to prove medical malpractice for countless victims through the years. These cases are especially grueling as some medical conditions are worsened from negligence or made permanent and untreatable. We empathize with our clients and will work to fight against these negligent parties.
What is medical malpractice?
There are four parts of a medical malpractice claim in Missouri.
- There was a doctor/patient relationship in place, meaning the doctor owed you a duty of care.
- The doctor behaved in a way that was negligent, thus violating that duty of care.
- That negligence caused you harm in the form of an injury.
- That injury resulted in damages – economic or non-economic losses.
While a medical professional can make an error at any time, it may not be sufficient enough to constitute medical malpractice. There must have been a breach in the stand of care that was expected in your particular medical needs. It is important to have your case evaluated by an experienced attorney.
What medical malpractice claims do you handle?
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, our Parkville medical malpractice lawyers handle a wide array of negligence claims, including:
- Anesthesia errors: When you are preparing to go under anesthesia you trust that the anesthesiologist knows how to calculate the appropriate amount for your body. If they do not this can cause brain damage, permanent injury, and in some cases death. An anesthesiologist must also monitor the patient's vital signs when they are under anesthesia. Some of the most harrowing cases are when the patient wakes up during a surgery or procedure.
- Surgical errors: Medical errors most often happen in the operating room. These errors are often undetected by the patient as they are under the knife and likely asleep. It has often been seen that a surgeon or nurse will nick another organ or operate on the wrong body part. Another way that a surgical error happens is by leaving sponges or other instruments inside of the patient. When a staff member does not follow appropriate postoperative care, this can lead to infections and other complications.
- Birth injuries: During the birth of a child, the care team should be prepared for everything. If they fail to properly respond or take improper action, then the child or the mother may suffer injuries. Some of these injuries include:
- Gestational diabetes
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis: A misdiagnosis can result when a patient is told they have a particular medical condition when they do not. This can lead to them undergoing unnecessary treatments which can cause more harm than good. In other cases, doctors may give a delayed diagnosis where they misdiagnose a life-threatening condition. They will often misdiagnose the condition as something that is far less serious. This will cause the patent to miss out on the treatment they actually need and result in their actual condition worsening.
- Prescription drug errors: It is imperative that pharmacists give the right medication to their patients. If a drug is switched or is given incorrectly this can cause a patient to suffer adverse effects and injury.
- Lack of informed consent: When you are receiving medical treatment, providers must inform you of any dangers or risks related to the specific procedure. If they do not properly inform the patient this can result in medical malpractice. There are cases where the patient is unable to consent but there are protocols in place that need to be followed.
Other medical malpractice cases include providing substandard treatment and not following the medical facility's safety protocols.
Do I have a case?
Call now or fill out a form to receive a free confidential consultation
Compensation for medical malpractice in Parkville
When you have sustained an injury due to medical malpractice you may need to undergo corrective surgery to remedy the condition. This can result in you taking additional time from work to recover. In some cases, the injury cannot be remedied, and the victim must now make lifestyle adjustments to deal with their new limitations. A Parkville medical malpractice attorney from our firm will work to obtain compensation for:
- Medical care: Most of your claim will be contingent on your medical care and expenses. This can include corrective surgeries, specialist visits, therapy, medical devices, and more. Lost wages: This will include any time off work you need to take for treatment and care. This also covers any income you will lose for a permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering: This damage will be awarded for the emotional pain as well as the chronic pain you will suffer from after this accident.
- Loss of consortium: This damage addresses the ability to spend quality time with your spouse. This is a complex topic that should be handled with care.
- Punitive damages: In cases of wanton or deliberate conduct we will file for punitive damages.
There are caps on certain kinds of damages that you must discuss with your Parkville medical malpractice attorney. Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys will work to secure you the maximum compensation for your circumstances.
Do you have a medical malpractice attorney near me?
Our Parkville office is located at 8600 NW 64th Street Suite 945. Please call for an appointment. Our lawyers have offices throughout Missouri and Kansas.
Call a Parkville medical malpractice attorney today
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys will work with mediators, insurance adjusters, and others to protect your rights. If we are unable to resolve the matter in pre-litigation, then we are prepared to take your case to trial and before a jury. While medical professionals are trusted individuals this does not excuse them from liability when they make an error. What they consider to be a small error can cause a substantial change during the patient's life.
If you or a loved one have suffered from a negligent medical professional, contact a Parkville medical malpractice attorney to discuss your legal options. Call us at 816-290-7621 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation today.
8600 NW 64th St.,
Parkville, MO 64152