Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Parkville, MO
Fighting for victims of motorcycle accidents throughout Missouri
Riding a motorcycle offers a thrill and sense of freedom that passenger vehicles do not. Motorcycles stop being fun when an accident occurs. These accidents are especially dangerous and life-altering because a motorcycle does not offer the same protections that other vehicles do. There is no roof or sides to keep riders inside. It is just the motorcycle driver and that open road.
It is common to see motorcycle accidents result in catastrophic injuries and even death. At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys we understand how difficult it can be after a motorcycle accident which is why we move fast to get the ball rolling. Our team is led by biker James Roswold who knows exactly how it feels to get on your motorcycle and hit the open road.
While we will try to negotiate with insurance companies, our Parkville motorcycle accident lawyers are also prepared to take your case a step further. We know that insurance companies will initially try to send low-ball offers to make the claim go away. We will not let them and will take things to trial if necessary.
What causes Parkville motorcycle accidents?
A motorcycle accident can happen at any moment and there are many different causes of these accidents. Our state has a mixture of rural and state roads which can make rides unpredictable, especially for novice drivers. It is often easier for motorcycle riders to use paved street roads than to navigate on a dirt road. Often, however, the main cause of motorcycle accidents is negligence. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents our Parkville motorcycle accident attorneys have seen include:
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Traffic violations
- Right of way incidents
- Inability to see the motorcycle driver
- Ignoring or not understanding the motorcyclist's hand signals
- Uneven, or dangerous roadways
There are several ways that motorcycle accidents can occur. You should always wear protective equipment and follow all rules of the road.
What are Missouri’s motorcycle helmet laws?
Missouri has helmet laws in place to ensure the safety of those who ride motorcycles. Any rider who is 25 years of age or younger is required to wear a helmet. Simply because you are over the age of 25 does not mean that you should not wear any protective equipment. It is advised that all riders wear protective gear when they are out on the open road. A helmet and other protective gear may save your life in the event of a crash or protect you from a life-altering injury.
Who can be held liable for a Parkville motorcycle accident?
Injuries from a motorcycle accident are catastrophic and it is important to hold negligent parties responsible. The motorcycle driver will often have their entire lives changed after an accident. You want a Parkville motorcycle accident attorney to investigate your claim and hold any of the following parties responsible:
- Truck drivers
- Passenger vehicle drivers
- Vehicle owners
- Other riders
- Motorcycle parts distributors and manufacturers
- The state of Missouri or any other government entity that played a role in your accident
There may be other liable parties that are not listed here. Our Parkville motorcycle accident attorneys work on finding the negligent party and holding them accountable, so you can focus on healing.
What injuries can be sustained from motorcycle accidents in Parkville?
Many motorcycle accidents, sadly, end in two ways: death or permanent disability for the rider and/or passengers. Other people sustain severe injuries that can take a very long time to heal. Some of the most catastrophic injuries include:
- Spinal cord damage: This kind of injury is often one of the most harrowing because it can cause the victim to become paralyzed. It can result in partial or full paralysis. This injury will also require a lifetime of care and chronic pain management.
- Traumatic brain injury: Another injury that is life-altering is a TBI. This injury will change your cognitive functions and make it difficult to perform daily tasks and get back to the things you enjoy doing.
- Loss of limb: Tragically, motorcycle accidents can result in a person losing their limb. There is no cure for these injuries as you cannot replace your leg or arm. While prosthetics are available, they are costly and need to be retrofitted as time goes on.
- Road rash: Since there is no protection between the motorcycle driver and their surroundings, they can be thrown off their bike and slide across the ground. The ground is often dirty and full of glass, this can get under your skin. You can suffer from an infection and even sepsis in some cases.
- Nerve damage: You may experience nerve damage to your legs, arms, and even face. This will often lead to chronic pain for years to come.
- Broken bones: A broken bone can take several months to heal from and is often seen in the arms and legs.
- Burns: Due to the heat and possibility of fire, accidents can result in burns. There are varying degrees of burns with some mild and others severe.
If you do survive a motorcycle accident, you may be left with chronic pain, catastrophic injuries, and a lifetime of medical care. It is important to put your health first while your Parkville motorcycle accident attorney works to hold negligent parties responsible.
How does compensation work for a motorcycle accident?
Since motorcycle accidents are so devastating, they often bring with them a range of damages. Many of these expenses are related to your medical bills. Through a motorcycle accident claim, your Parkville motorcycle accident attorney will work to obtain compensation for:
- Loss of income
- Medical expenses
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of future earning potential
- Property damage
- Punitive damages in cases of egregious action
If you are unable to work or require medical care and treatment for the rest of your life, this not only puts a strain on you but on your loved ones as well. You may need to make modifications to your home and vehicle for you to be transported to medical appointments and other places. You should not be left to pay for all of this when the accident was not your fault. Instead, your Parkville motorcycle accident attorney will file a claim on your behalf. We will work with various experts to determine your damages and compensation.
Do you have a motorcycle accident attorney near me?
Our Parkville office is located at 8600 NW 64th Street Suite 945. Please call for an appointment. Our lawyers have offices throughout Missouri and Kansas.
Contact a Parkville motorcycle accident attorney today
If you have been in a motorcycle accident it is important to contact a Parkville motorcycle accident attorney. We have decades of experience handling accidents just like yours. We will work to build a strong case and recover the compensation you deserve for your accident. Call Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys at 816-471-5111 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation today.