In a matter of moments, a normal life can be turned upside down if you or a family member suffers injuries due to another party’s negligence. Cracks in a parking lot or spills on a store floor cause a serious fall. Faulty playground equipment injures your child. Bad wiring in an apartment complex starts a fire, and you suffer burns and other complications. Negligent nursing home care jeopardizes your mother's health.
Fortunately, you may be able to hold the negligent party responsible for injury compensation by filing a personal injury claim.
The knowledgeable legal team at Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys have years of experience helping victims of personal injury accidents in Kansas and Missouri.
We pride ourselves in aggressively fighting for of our client’s rights—even when the negligent party is doing everything possible to reduce or deny their claims.
Call our Kansas City office today or start an online chat to schedule a free consultation. You'll learn more about the steps we'll take on your behalf to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Common Personal Injury Claims Our Kansas City Attorneys Handle
When people think of personal injury cases, the most common ones are often car, truck, and motorcycle crashes. However, there are many other ways that a business or individual can be negligent and cause the victim to suffer catastrophic injuries or death.
Other reasons personal injury victims may need expert legal guidance include:
- Slip and fall accidents. These accidents happen frequently, but that doesn't mean they're easy to handle. If you or someone you love falls in a parking lot, grocery store aisle, restaurant, care facility, or another location, the result may be back and neck injuries, serious fractures, traumatic brain injury—even paralysis. You or your loved one may be unable to work for months or longer while you undergo surgery, physical therapy, and other treatments.
- Spinal cord and brain injuries. Blunt force to the back or head often results in spinal cord and brain injuries. Falls, motor vehicle accidents, violent actions, and sports and recreational activities are a few of the causes of these tragic health conditions. Victims can suffer partial or complete paralysis due to spine damage. Traumatic brain injury might prevent individuals from working or taking care of their day-to-day needs.
- Child injury. When your child suffers an injury or dies due to the negligence of another party, the heartache can be unbearable. Children may suffer serious injuries or death in vehicle or slip and fall accidents; or because of defective playgroup equipment, dog bites, and medical malpractice. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can pursue a claim for compensation so he has the medical care and financial assistance that may be necessary for the rest of his life.
- Burn injury and electrocution. You or a loved one could suffer life-threatening burns, permanent disfigurement, or death if your car catches fire or a defective product or tool ignites. Electrical burns and other complications may also be the result if you're exposed toxic chemicals or faulty live electrical wires or currents; or you're injured in a premises accident. Because of the catastrophic nature of these injuries, retaining an experienced personal injury attorney is essential to ensure you receive the full value of your claim.
Dangerous drug injuries. You could suffer serious medical complications—some life-threatening—if a pharmaceutical company defectively manufactures a drug; develops a drug with dangerous side effects; or fails to market it properly by providing inadequate warnings or instructions. Popular drugs once the subject of lawsuits include Benicar—prescribed for high blood pressure; Xarelto—a blood thinner; and Viagra—used to treat sexual dysfunction. You may have a products liability claim against a drug manufacturer, testing laboratory, pharmaceutical representative, and other parties if you suffer injuries due to a defective drug.
- Nursing home negligence. Unfortunately, nursing home staff can inflict many aspects of neglect, as well as abuse that may be financial, physical, sexual, or psychological in nature. Vulnerable residents may suffer spinal cord injuries, fractures due to falls, head injuries, bed sores, seizures, psychological trauma, or death due to nursing home abuse and neglect. If you see the warning signs of abuse—weight loss, bruises, depression, insomnia, and social withdrawal are a few—contact an experienced personal injury attorney to stop the abuse and pursue your loved one’s claim for compensation.
- Defective product injuries. When a consumer or commercial product is dangerous or defective, an individual can suffer life-altering injuries or death. Product liability claims fall into three main categories: design defects, manufacturing defects, and failures to warn of dangers or provide proper instructions. A victim may have a products liability claim against the product's designer, manufacturer, parts manufacturer, seller, and other entities. Products often involved in liability lawsuits include automobiles, motorcycles, medical devices, prescription drugs, household products, as well as children’s toys, car seats, and other equipment.
What You Must Prove to Show the Liable Party Was Negligent
When you file a claim for compensation with the negligent party’s insurance company, you must prove your right to compensation. These are the basic elements that must be shown to establish negligence:
- The business or individual owed you a duty.
- The property or business owner breached this duty by acting in a certain careless or unsafe manner, or by failing to act.
- The liable party’s neglect of an issue or carelessness was the cause of your injuries.
- You suffered damages due to these injuries.
Proving the breach of the duty to you and the extent of your injuries can be complex—even when you believe the party’s negligence is clear cut. The insurance company could try to point the blame at another party—or you. It may also dispute the seriousness of your injuries in an attempt to reduce or deny your claim. A skillful personal injury attorney can help you gather crucial evidence to hold the negligent party accountable.
Compensation You Could Be Entitled to in a Kansas City Personal Injury Case
It's important to understand the types of compensation you may be entitled to so no aspect of your recovery is overlooked. Your claim might include:
- Medical expenses. The negligent party is responsible for compensating you for hospitalization, surgery, doctor visits, physical therapy, medications, and assistive tools, such as wheelchairs and crutches. If you need a wheelchair ramp at your home or an aide to assist with your basic needs, you may be entitled to these expenses as well.
- Lost wages. Income, commissions, bonuses, and lost sick and vacation time are all included in your lost wages claim. You may also be entitled to lost earning capacity damages if you must change jobs or are permanently disabled due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering. The emotional trauma caused by the terror of your accident and the pain and suffering from coping with your injuries can be a substantial portion of your settlement. However, you cannot hope to accurately value this part of your claim without the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Wrongful death. If a loved one died as a result of a personal injury accident, you may be entitled to damages for the loss of his or her companionship, support, advice, and more in a wrongful death action.
Let Our Experienced Personal Injury Law Firm in Kansas City Help With Your Claim for Compensation
Did your or a loved one suffer injuries in an accident caused by another party’s negligence? Our Kansas City personal injury attorneys have a track record of successfully settling and taking these cases to trial.
To learn more about your legal options for compensation and how we'll fight zealously to obtain justice for you, contact us online or call us directly at 816.471.5111 and schedule your free consultation.