Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 348-2616
Phone: (816) 471-5111
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys

Can I sue for punitive damages in my Kansas City Missouri drunk driving injury accident?

Yes, if you are injured by a drunk driver you can recover punitive damages in both Missouri and Kansas in addition to collecting for your actual injuries and damages incurred. In Kansas you must make a separate showing that the conduct reaches a level that qualifies for punitive damages and then you can add a claim for punitive damages to the petition in your lawsuit. The purpose behind punitive damages is to punish the driver for his conduct in causing your injuries and damages and to discourage him or her and others from such conduct resulting in similar injuries and damages in the future.

To find more information about punitive damages, read our article, "What is meant by punitive damages?"

James Roswold
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.

Live Chat