Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) 348-2616
Phone: (816) 471-5111
Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys

Are there exceptions to PIP coverage in Kansas?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Kansas PIP coverage. First of all, it is important to understand what PIP is and what it covers. PIP stands for Personal Injury Protection, and is also known as no fault insurance. In Kansas this coverage is mandatory for cars and trucks.

When you buy a policy it is protection for yourself, your household family members, and anyone that may be riding in your car at the time of the accident. When you ride in someone else’s car and are involved in an accident, you are covered by that person’s PIP insurance. If you are in a motorcycle accident, you are not covered by PIP unless you specifically have purchased coverage. Motorcycle coverage is not required in the state of Kansas. If you are walking down the street and get hit by a car, you are covered with PIP as long as you have that coverage for yourself.

Of course there are exceptions to everything. There are some things that are not protected with PIP coverage.  If the accident was on purpose, then PIP coverage does not apply. Also, if you have a motorcycle then you will need to specifically purchase your PIP policy if you want it. Only cars and trucks are mandated to have this coverage in the state of Kansas.

If you were in an accident and would like more information about PIP insurance coverage, please call us today for a free case evaluation. Also, we recommend that you download your FREE copy of “Don’t Wreck Your Injury Claim.” We look forward to assisting you, and we may be able to help you win your settlement. Don’t delay, get started now!

James Roswold
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.

Live Chat