Filing a distracted driver claim in KS or MOIf your motor vehicle accident was caused by another person's distracted driving, you could suffer devastating medical conditions, such as internal organ damage, burns, paralysis, and brain injuries.

If you're wondering whether you should file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company, the answer is a definite yes. You may be entitled to substantial compensation from them under Missouri and Kansas laws.

Motor Vehicle Accidents: Frequent Distractions for Drivers

Anything that takes a person's mind off safely operating a vehicle is considered distracted driving. Although the dangers of distractions are widely known, auto, truck, and motorcycle drivers continue to engage in these dangerous practices. Some of the most common distractions that lead to tragic accidents include:

  • Texting
  • Talking on a cellphone
  • Looking at a GPS
  • Eating and drinking
  • Talking to passengers
  • Engaging in personal grooming

Potential Injury Compensation After a Distracted Driving Crash

If your distracted driving accident occurred in Kansas or Missouri, the at-fault driver is responsible for full injury compensation. You might need expensive medical treatments and have to take time off work with no income while you recover. You're entitled to both past and future damages. Types of compensation you should receive in a settlement include:

Medical Expenses

This reimbursement should cover all necessary medical care to treat your injuries, such as hospitalizations, surgeries, doctor visits, physical therapy, medications, and assistive aids, like a wheelchair or crutches.

Lost Wages and Lost Earning Capacity

Insurance coverage for the negligent motorist should compensate you for lost wages, sick and vacation time, bonuses, and other perks of your job lost while you're unable to work. If your injuries are serious enough to prevent you from returning to any job, you could be entitled to lost earning capacity damages designed to compensate for the salary and other benefits you'll lose throughout your working life.

Pain and Suffering

You could suffer physical pain and mental anguish from the trauma of the collision and coping with your injuries. It's often hard to determine how much you should recover for pain and suffering and emotional distress without the help of a knowledgeable motor vehicle accident lawyer.

Property Damages and Out-of-Pocket Expenses

You can recover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle and any other property damaged in the crash. If you incurred towing costs, car rental fees, and other out-of-pocket expenses, you should also be reimbursed for them in your settlement.

Wrongful Death

If a loved one died in a motor vehicle accident, you can file a wrongful death action against the negligent driver. The types of compensation are somewhat different for this claim and can include medical expenses of your family member before their death, reasonable funeral and burial expenses, loss of the financial and emotional support of your loved one, and other damages

Were You Injured In a Kansas City Area Car Accident?

It's important to an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.


James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.