photo of car accident damageYou could suffer serious injuries in a low-impact motor vehicle accident in Kansas or Missouri. However, the negligent driver's insurance company may dispute the seriousness of your injuries because the vehicles involved in the crash were traveling at a slow speed. Here are four steps you can take to protect your rights and build a winning case so that you receive all the compensation you deserve in your settlement.

#1: Call 911 to Report Your Accident

You should call 911 immediately so that a police officer is dispatched to the crash scene. They will conduct an investigation into how the collision occurred and write a police report. The report could contain helpful information such as how the accident happened, driver statements, officer's conclusions as to who was at fault, any injuries you or other victims suffered, and whether any traffic citations were issued.

#2: Collect Evidence at the Crash Scene

You need to collect evidence that can help you prove that the other driver's negligence caused your injuries immediately after your collision. Do not rely on the police to do this for you. Here are actions you should take right away:

  • Obtain the contact information for the driver and their insurance company.
  • Talk to witnesses who saw the crash occur and get their contact information so you can obtain their written statements.
  • Take pictures and record video of the damage to the vehicles, the crash scene, your injuries, and anything else you think would be helpful in proving your case.

#3: Seek Immediate Medical Care

If you know you were hurt, go to the hospital by ambulance or drive to the emergency room for immediate medical care. Even if you do not believe you were injured, you should be examined by a doctor within 48 hours of the collision. You could have suffered a hidden injury, such as a spinal or neck injury or traumatic brain injury, and not develop any symptoms for days or longer after the crash.

By seeking prompt medical treatment, you can protect your health and establish the causal connection between a low-impact accident and your injuries. In addition, it is crucial to follow your doctor's advice and go to all of your medical appointments.

#4: Hire a Lawyer

As soon as you get the medical care you need, you should retain a skilled motor vehicle accident attorney. They can collect the evidence you need to prove the other driver's negligence and the seriousness of your injuries, help you avoid mistakes that could hurt your case, and fight so that you receive the maximum amount you deserve for your injuries.

Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motor Vehicle Accident?

If you've been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur.  Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.

Request a Free Consultation

Start a Live Chat 24/7

Free Books and Downloads

James Roswold
Connect with me
James Roswold is a Kansas & Missouri personal injury, workers comp, and medical malpractice attorney.