After a car accident, a victim may suffer from one of several different types of brain injuries. An open head injury is one such type of brain injury. Open head injuries occur when an object penetrates the skull. These injuries can be extremely serious and require immediate and ongoing medical treatment. The costs of these treatments may add up quickly.
How Doctors Will Assess and Treat an Open Head Injury
Fortunately for victims, the cost of these visits and treatments may be reimbursable as damages when pursuing a legal claim against the responsible parties. Examples of the assessments and treatments that may be required for an open head injury after a car accident include the following:
- Doctors may visually assess the injury. Typically, the injury involves fracture of the skull and external bleeding.
- Doctors may evaluate the extent of the injury by measuring blood pressure, body temperature, breathing, and heart rate.
- Tests may be conducted, including MRIs, CT scans, and ICP scans in order to evaluate the severity of the injury.
- Antibiotics and medication may be prescribed to reduce brain swelling if meningitis is suspected. Meningitis is the most common infection occurring after an open head injury. Infections can cause permanent brain damage or even death.
- Surgery may be necessary to repair the fractured skull and stop internal bleeding. Bone fragments may need to be removed in order to reduce swelling.
- Doctors will likely need to monitor patients on an ongoing basis for possible complications, such as intracranial pressure or brain swelling.
- Additional surgeries may be required if pressure on the brain still needs to be reduced or if blood has collected under the skull that needs to be drained.
Have You Been Injured In A Kansas City Area Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.