uninsured underinsured driverA motorcycle accident can cause victims to suffer catastrophic injuries or be killed. Motorcycle riders and passengers are 29 times more likely to die from their injuries than occupants of cars and trucks. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident that you did not cause, the negligent driver is responsible for fully compensating you for your injuries. However, they may have little or no insurance coverage to pay you the settlement you deserve.

What You Need to Do If the At-Fault Motorist Has Little or No Insurance

Fortunately, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company under your underinsured or uninsured motorcycle accident coverage if you find that you will not be fully compensated by the other driver's insurance company. Underinsured coverage would pay you if the at-fault motorist had insufficient insurance to fully compensate you, while uninsured coverage would reimburse you if they had no insurance.

Your insurance company is only liable to pay you up to your policy limits. This amount would be different in Kansas or Missouri if you purchased the minimum insurance required by your state's laws. However, you may be able to file a claim for substantially more compensation if you purchased additional coverage over the basic insurance amount.

How Much Compensation Could You Recover Under Your Motorcycle Insurance Policy in Kansas?

Kansas is a no-fault state. You would be required to purchase both personal protection liability (PIP) and underinsured/uninsured coverage. Under your PIP minimum coverage, you could file a claim for the following:

  • $4,500 per person for medical expenses
  • $900 per month for loss of income or disability for one year
  • $25 per day for necessary home care services
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial, and cremation expenses
  • $4,500 for rehabilitation expenses
  • $900 for disability or loss of income for one year in survivor benefits

In addition, you would be required to have $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for personal injuries in uninsured and underinsured coverage that can help compensate you for other losses not covered under your PIP coverage.

What Are the Motorcycle Insurance Coverages in Missouri?

Unlike Kansas, Missouri is an at-fault state. You would not be able to purchase PIP coverage. However, you are required to purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. The minimum required amount is the same as in Kansas: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for personal injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash.

Have You Been Injured in a Kansas City Area Motorcycle Accident?

If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. It will cost you nothing to hire us because we handle these cases on a contingency fee basis where you only pay us if we win your case. We will also front the costs and fees you could incur.  Contact us online or call our Kansas City office directly at 816.471.5111 to schedule your free consultation.