If you are reading up on semi crash cases, it is likely that you’ve sustained an injury that will take weeks or months to heal. There are so many things to consider about your future and your family. Even as you lie in your hospital bed at St Luke’s, you’re wondering if you should talk to a lawyer to help recover compensation.
When Should I Hire an Attorney to Handle My Semi Accident Case?
You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible after your accident occurs, for a number of reasons. First, you are likely to be contacted by an insurance adjuster who will pressure you to accept a quick settlement. Second, you will be forced to contemplate a number of tough questions after the crash occurs, including:
- Who is supposed to pay for the damage done to your car?
- Should you pay for your own medical costs, or should someone else foot the bill?
- Will you need a rental car while yours is being repaired? Who pays for that?
- Which costs should your medical and auto insurance pay for? What if you don’t have insurance?
- If you cannot work, should you get Social Security disability or other compensation for lost wages?
- Are there rules to protect your job while you’re recovering from your injuries?
- Should you give a statement to the insurance company?
- How can you tell who is responsible for the accident?
- Should you accept a settlement if you have been offered one?
Unfortunately, none of the parties asking for payment is likely to wait until you have recovered to ask for their money. Even if you do not need an attorney to settle your case, you should at least consult with one to find out who should pay for what after a serious injury.
Lastly, there is a time limit on how long truck crash victims may wait before taking action against the truckers who hit them.
Contact us online or call us directly at 816.471.5111 for your free consultation today.